slattach serial ports? - Redhat

This is a discussion on slattach serial ports? - Redhat ; Hi, I'm trying to set-up a slip link via a serial port on FC2. setserial -g reports that the hardware exists, but attaching to it with slattach fails. [root@localhost root]# slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/cua1 & slattach: tty_open: ...

  1. slattach serial ports?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to set-up a slip link via a serial port on FC2.

    setserial -g reports that the hardware exists, but attaching
    to it with slattach fails.

    [root@localhost root]# slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/cua1 &
    slattach: tty_open: looking for lock
    slattach: tty_open: trying to open /dev/cua1
    slattach: tty_open(/dev/cua1, RW): No such device or address
    [1]+ Exit 3 slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/cua1

    [root@localhost root]# slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/ttyS1 &
    ch: tty_open: trying to open /dev/ttyS1
    slattach: tty_open: /dev/ttyS1 (fd=3) slattach: tty_set_speed: 9600
    slattach: tty_set_databits: 8
    slattach: tty_set_stopbits: 1
    slattach: tty_set_parity: N
    SLIP_set_disc(1): Input/output error
    [1]+ Exit 1 slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/ttyS1

    Permissions don't seem to be the problem, and I seem to be able
    to MAKEDEV the devices.

    Any ideas? I'm stumped.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

  2. Re: slattach serial ports?

    In article <41df9fad$0$29408$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:

    >I'm trying to set-up a slip link via a serial port on FC2.

    Is the slip protocol compiled into the kernel? (Look at the boot log
    in /var/log/messages). Reason I ask - very few people are using slip
    any more.

    >[root@localhost root]# slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/cua1 &

    /dev/cuaX has been deprecated since the 2.2.0 kernel YEARS ago. You
    want to be using the /dev/ttySx devices.

    >Permissions don't seem to be the problem, and I seem to be able
    >to MAKEDEV the devices.

    Can you talk to the serial port using minicom or pppd?

    >Any ideas? I'm stumped.

    Just curious - why are you trying to use slip - the protocol is pretty
    much dead - I don't know anyone still using it.

    Old guy

  3. Re: slattach serial ports?

    Hi Moe,

    Nope, looks as though I will have to compile SLIP into the kernel. I believe
    PPP is still there. "slattach -d -s 9600 -p ppp /dev/ttyS1 &" does the same
    thing.

    I'll have a go with minicom, and take a real look at /var/log/messages in a
    moment when I boot Linux.

    I'm just playing around with Dave Dunkels' uIP 0.9 TCP/IP stack, trying to
    port it to an 8052 with Keil C. I got everything except the cgi scripting
    working with Windows, but seem to need Linux's Ethereal to fix the last bit.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    "Moe Trin" wrote in message
    > In article <41df9fad$0$29408$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    > Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to set-up a slip link via a serial port on FC2.

    > Is the slip protocol compiled into the kernel? (Look at the boot log
    > in /var/log/messages). Reason I ask - very few people are using slip
    > any more.
    >
    > >[root@localhost root]# slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/cua1 &

    > /dev/cuaX has been deprecated since the 2.2.0 kernel YEARS ago. You
    > want to be using the /dev/ttySx devices.
    >
    > >Permissions don't seem to be the problem, and I seem to be able
    > >to MAKEDEV the devices.

    > Can you talk to the serial port using minicom or pppd?
    >
    > >Any ideas? I'm stumped.

    > Just curious - why are you trying to use slip - the protocol is pretty
    > much dead - I don't know anyone still using it.
    >
    > Old guy

+ Reply to Thread