problem printing on fc3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on problem printing on fc3 - Redhat ; I just installed Fedora Core 3 over my previous RH 8.0 system, and now I'm not able to print. I've a Canon S600 connected by USB, and at the first try (with Ooo Calc 1.1.2) I just had no output, ...

  1. problem printing on fc3

    I just installed Fedora Core 3 over my previous RH 8.0 system, and now
    I'm not able to print.
    I've a Canon S600 connected by USB, and at the first try (with Ooo Calc
    1.1.2) I just had no output, without any error.
    Then I tried to test the printing system with the printer configuration
    tool, printing the "A4 Postscript Testpage", and I got this message :

    sh: /usr/bin/lpr: No such file or directory

    Investigating on this, I found that "/usr/bin/lpr" was a link to
    "/etc/alternatives/print", that was a link to the missing
    "/usr/bin/lpr.LPRng".
    I tried to make links to redirect all the *.LPRng links in
    /etc/alternatives to the existing and correspondent *.cups in /usr/bin,
    but now, when I try to print the test page, I get this error:

    lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-not-found

    Can anyone help me?

    Thank you in advance.

    Roberto

  2. Re: problem printing on fc3

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:25:03 +0000, Sacco wrote:

    > Investigating on this, I found that "/usr/bin/lpr" was a link to
    > "/etc/alternatives/print", that was a link to the missing
    > "/usr/bin/lpr.LPRng".
    > I tried to make links to redirect all the *.LPRng links in
    > /etc/alternatives to the existing and correspondent *.cups in /usr/bin,
    > but now, when I try to print the test page, I get this error:
    > lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-not-found

    Don't work so hard. Check the:

    $ man alternatives

    command and use the form:

    # alternatives --config print

    to do this for you.

    HTH.

  3. Re: problem printing on fc3

    Tommy Reynolds wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:25:03 +0000, Sacco wrote:
    >

    >>Investigating on this, I found that "/usr/bin/lpr" was a link to
    >>"/etc/alternatives/print", that was a link to the missing
    >>"/usr/bin/lpr.LPRng".
    >>I tried to make links to redirect all the *.LPRng links in
    >>/etc/alternatives to the existing and correspondent *.cups in /usr/bin,
    >>but now, when I try to print the test page, I get this error:
    >>lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-not-found

    > Don't work so hard. Check the:
    >
    > $ man alternatives
    >
    > command and use the form:
    >
    > # alternatives --config print
    >
    > to do this for you.
    >
    > HTH.

    Ok, it works.

    Thank you very much.

  4. problem printing on fc3 via network

    I am trying to share a hp printer on a small netwrok with a linksys
    router and dhcp installed. both pcs are fc 3 and I have internet access
    on both and can ping each other. I can not se each other on the network
    section in comuter then network. I also have a winxp pc I can see and
    add folders to the winxp pc from either linux boxes but the winxp can
    not see anything in the network also. I was looking at services for
    firewall shut them down still nothing. HELP please. Also real new to
    linux.

  5. problem printing on fc3 via network

    I can not print via a network using a linnksys router and dhcp. I can
    ping each other but I can not see each other on the network. I can see
    the one winxp machine and even add folders to it. That pc can not see
    eiher linux machines also. I think it is a firewall but I checked
    services. they are shut down. I am also new to linux.
    HELP

  6. Re: problem printing on fc3 via network

    goto this link and study the how to's > http://www.linuxdownloads.org/howto/

    dascook@nyc.rr.com wrote:
    > I can not print via a network using a linnksys router and dhcp. I can
    > ping each other but I can not see each other on the network. I can see
    > the one winxp machine and even add folders to it. That pc can not see
    > eiher linux machines also. I think it is a firewall but I checked
    > services. they are shut down. I am also new to linux.
    > HELP

+ Reply to Thread