newbie, fedora and access to usb scanner - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie, fedora and access to usb scanner - Redhat ; Hi, as a user I have try to get gimp and xsane to scan an image, but it says there is no device. But, as root it is present and could scan, but it is apparently not safe. my thought ...

  1. newbie, fedora and access to usb scanner

    Hi,

    as a user I have try to get gimp and xsane to scan an image, but it says
    there is no device. But, as root it is present and could scan, but it is
    apparently not safe.

    my thought is that it is a problem of right of access.
    if it is. How can I get access?
    if it is not. what do you think is the problem?

    thanks.

  2. Re: newbie, fedora and access to usb scanner

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:26:40 -0500,
    "david" posted:

    > as a user I have try to get gimp and xsane to scan an image, but it says
    > there is no device. But, as root it is present and could scan, but it is
    > apparently not safe.
    >
    > my thought is that it is a problem of right of access.

    I got it working, here, without fiddling with any access rights.

    My system's complicated by having a crap video capture card (Fly Video 98)
    and a cheap Mustek scanner badged as something else. If I try and captures
    something using sane in the Gimp, it always tries to use the video capture
    card. If I pick the option, in the Gimp, to select what device I sometimes
    get that capture card, and sometimes get to the sane window where I can
    pick which device to capture from (the card or the scanner). I can't get
    it to behave consistently.

    --
    If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
    temporary). But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

    This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.

  3. Re: newbie, fedora and access to usb scanner

    > I can't get it to behave consistently.

    http://www.sane-project.org/docs.html

    After going through the installation document I still
    need to do two commands as root after a boot.

    #chmod 0777 /proc/bus/usb/001
    #chmod 0777 /proc/bus/usb/003

    Your scanner may have a slightly different location.

    Now in gimp from the File>Acquire>Xsaneevice dialog menu I have two
    choices, my capture card or my scanner.

    wort

+ Reply to Thread