FC3 and software RAID 1 - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC3 and software RAID 1 - Redhat ; I am trying to install FC3 on 2 ibm xseries 206 with 2 sata disks each. I could not configure raid 1 during install because the format process locked while formatting partitions (on both servers). So i installed FC3 on ...

  1. FC3 and software RAID 1

    I am trying to install FC3 on 2 ibm xseries 206 with 2 sata disks each.
    I could not configure raid 1 during install because the format process
    locked while formatting partitions (on both servers). So i installed FC3
    on the first disk (sda) and everything went fine. Now i want to
    configure manually raid1 on the disks. I configured raid on sdb and
    rsync'ed sda disk on sdb, when i boot md devices starts correctly. I
    added a section in /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows

    title Fedora Core RAID (2.6.9-1.667smp) Disk1
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=/dev/md2
    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp-md.img

    where /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp-md.img is a new image file built with
    mkinitrd. The problem is that when i try to boot that configuration
    initrd cannot mount root and what i get is a kernel panic at boot time.
    raidautorun is executed on all my md devices.
    i modified /etc/fstab to mount partitions on md devices

    error message on boot is:

    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.
    Creating root device
    Mounting root filesystem
    EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
    mount: error 22 mounting ext3
    mount: error 2 mounting none
    Switching to new root
    switchroot: mount failed: 22
    umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

    thanks to all

    max

  2. Re: FC3 and software RAID 1

    Found it!
    I had to change id of raid partitions to FD using fdisk

    now it works

+ Reply to Thread