Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card - Redhat

This is a discussion on Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card - Redhat ; In trying to set-up my Dell P-III to dual-boot Win98SE & Linux (Redhat), I may have been given some bad information. Hope someone in the group can help! In order to give Linux it's own drive (and because no more ...

  1. Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    In trying to set-up my Dell P-III to dual-boot Win98SE & Linux
    (Redhat), I may have been given some bad information. Hope someone in
    the group can help!

    In order to give Linux it's own drive (and because no more available
    connectors on sys. board), I bought a drive controller card (ATA133
    PCI card). I explained to the techie on the floor at CompUSA what I
    had in mind. As he was actually a Belkin rep, naturally he recomended
    a Belkin card. He assured me that Redhat would be able to see the card
    OK, even though there were no non-Microsoft drivers mentioned on the
    package.

    Today, having bought the hard drive and getting ready to install the
    card and the drive, I noticed that there were no Linux drivers on the
    PCI card installation CD. When I went to the Redhat website to check
    the hardware list, I discovered that the Belkin company was not even
    listed!!!

    Now what??? The card can no longer be returned or exchanged (21 day
    limit at CompUSA - card purchased 11/01/04) and they refuse to take
    responsibility for the bad information I was given.

    Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.

    Any help you can give this frustrated (Linux) newbie would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Aloha, boo
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle
    and will pee on your computer." - Bruce Graham

  2. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:06:14 -1000, boo wrote:

    > I bought a drive controller card (ATA133 PCI card).
    > Today, having bought the hard drive and getting ready to install the
    > card and the drive, I noticed that there were no Linux drivers on the
    > PCI card installation CD. When I went to the Redhat website to check the
    > hardware list, I discovered that the Belkin company was not even
    > listed!!!

    Linux is not like Windoze. Linux usually has all the necessary
    drivers, out of the box.

    Don't get too bothered about the RH hardware compatibility list
    (HCL). It is basically meaningless: it is not an authoritative,
    exhaustive list.

    > Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    > there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.

    Do you have any reason to think the card _won't_ work? Have you
    tried it? What errors did you see?

    Plug the card and drive in and let's get testing!

    Cheers!

  3. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    Wow, I love it !!! Thanks, Tommy, for the upbeat info and advice!
    Getting to testing RIGHT NOW !

    Aloha, boo

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:06:14 -1000, boo wrote:

    >In trying to set-up my Dell P-III to dual-boot Win98SE & Linux
    >(Redhat), I may have been given some bad information. Hope someone in
    >the group can help!
    >
    >In order to give Linux it's own drive (and because no more available
    >connectors on sys. board), I bought a drive controller card (ATA133
    >PCI card). I explained to the techie on the floor at CompUSA what I
    >had in mind. As he was actually a Belkin rep, naturally he recomended
    >a Belkin card. He assured me that Redhat would be able to see the card
    >OK, even though there were no non-Microsoft drivers mentioned on the
    >package.
    >
    >Today, having bought the hard drive and getting ready to install the
    >card and the drive, I noticed that there were no Linux drivers on the
    >PCI card installation CD. When I went to the Redhat website to check
    >the hardware list, I discovered that the Belkin company was not even
    >listed!!!
    >
    >Now what??? The card can no longer be returned or exchanged (21 day
    >limit at CompUSA - card purchased 11/01/04) and they refuse to take
    >responsibility for the bad information I was given.
    >
    >Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    >there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.
    >
    >Any help you can give this frustrated (Linux) newbie would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Aloha, boo
    >"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle
    > and will pee on your computer." - Bruce Graham

    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle
    and will pee on your computer." - Bruce Graham

  4. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    boo wrote:

    > In order to give Linux it's own drive (and because no more available
    > connectors on sys. board), I bought a drive controller card (ATA133
    > PCI card). I explained to the techie on the floor at CompUSA what I
    > had in mind. As he was actually a Belkin rep, naturally he recomended
    > a Belkin card. He assured me that Redhat would be able to see the card
    > OK, even though there were no non-Microsoft drivers mentioned on the
    > package.

    > Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    > there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.

    Of course, if it turns out the card *doesn't* work, could you not
    just plug the Windows drive into the PCI ATA133 card and the Linux
    drive into the mobo?

    Think "I bought an add-in card so that I could free up an ATA
    connector on my motherboard," instead of "I bought an add-in card so
    I could plug a new drive for Linux into it."

    Make sense?

    And please, when replying, do not top post. Put your reply *beneath*
    quoted text. Conversations work better when read sequentially.

    ../k

  5. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:39:29 -1000, boo wrote:

    > Wow, I love it !!! Thanks, Tommy, for the upbeat info and advice!
    > Getting to testing RIGHT NOW !

    Boo,

    Don't want to rain on your parade, but in the Linux world, we do not
    "top-post" as you are doing. Snip out most of the quoted message and
    put your additions at the bottom.

    Good Luck and Cheery-bye!

  6. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:06:14 -1000, boo wrote:

    >In trying to set-up my Dell P-III to dual-boot Win98SE & Linux
    >(Redhat), I may have been given some bad information. Hope someone in
    >the group can help!
    >
    >In order to give Linux it's own drive (and because no more available
    >connectors on sys. board), I bought a drive controller card (ATA133
    >PCI card). I explained to the techie on the floor at CompUSA what I
    >had in mind. As he was actually a Belkin rep, naturally he recomended
    >a Belkin card. He assured me that Redhat would be able to see the card
    >OK, even though there were no non-Microsoft drivers mentioned on the
    >package.
    >
    >Today, having bought the hard drive and getting ready to install the
    >card and the drive, I noticed that there were no Linux drivers on the
    >PCI card installation CD. When I went to the Redhat website to check
    >the hardware list, I discovered that the Belkin company was not even
    >listed!!!
    >
    >Now what??? The card can no longer be returned or exchanged (21 day
    >limit at CompUSA - card purchased 11/01/04) and they refuse to take
    >responsibility for the bad information I was given.
    >
    >Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    >there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.
    >
    >Any help you can give this frustrated (Linux) newbie would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Aloha, boo
    >"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle
    > and will pee on your computer." - Bruce Graham

    Sorry, but at least you have learned lessons #1 and #2 on the way to
    being a real computer expert. Never EVER talk to a factory rep, and
    don't buy a part that you don't KNOW will work.

    There are 2 add-in IDE controllers that won't bang into the on-board
    controllers of almost all modern motherboards. One of them works
    well, the other works badly. The Promise ATA-133 works well, and the
    Siig card works badly. The Belkin has issues even with a pure windows
    environment. Belkin went acquisition mad last year and bought a bunch
    of iffy card manufacturers and slapped Belkin signs on everything.

    Mike-

    --
    If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs...
    You may have a great career as a network administrator ahead!

  7. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:06:14 -1000, boo wrote:

    >Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    >there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.
    >
    >Any help you can give this frustrated (Linux) newbie would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Aloha, boo

    Thanks to all for the help and advice. I hadn't known about the
    'top-posting' tradition within the Linux world. I am ordering a card
    from Promise (UltraATA/133TX2 controller for 66mhz systems) - hoping
    for a better outcome! Again, thanks to all!
    regards, boo
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle
    and will pee on your computer." - Bruce Graham

  8. Re: Linux newbie needs advice re. ATA133 PCI card

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:07:42 -1000, boo wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:06:14 -1000, boo wrote:
    >>
    >>Is there a way to use the card under Linux w/out specific drivers? Is
    >>there some workaround? Belkin's website is no help at all.
    >>
    >>Any help you can give this frustrated (Linux) newbie would be greatly
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Aloha, boo

    > Thanks to all for the help and advice. I hadn't known about the
    > 'top-posting' tradition within the Linux world. I am ordering a card
    > from Promise (UltraATA/133TX2 controller for 66mhz systems) - hoping
    > for a better outcome! Again, thanks to all!
    > regards, boo

    After an overall good experience with a Promise UDMA 66 card on
    an older PC, I bought a Promise UDMA133TX2 for my homebuilt new
    system last June (Tyan i875 Trinity mobo, P4 2.8 GHz, 512MB).

    I started a Fedora Core 2 installation and was booted up and
    running in about 20 minutes - mostly spent waiting while the
    various programs were copied over from the CD.

    The only complaints about this card I've seen were from Windows
    users who had problems with CD/DVD peripherals connected to the
    card. I keep all my ATAPI peripherals on the motherboard EIDE
    so wouldn't know about that.

+ Reply to Thread