Grub? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Grub? - Redhat ; Hi there, I would really like to installl fedora core 3. Unfortunatly everytime I install it Grub just halts. The other operating system is Windows 2000. Any ideas? Mandrake works well however this is Lilo. Thanks....

  1. Grub?

    Hi there,

    I would really like to installl fedora core 3. Unfortunatly everytime
    I install it Grub just halts. The other operating system is Windows
    2000. Any ideas? Mandrake works well however this is Lilo.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Grub?

    You need a /boot partition for grub in FC3.

    ChrisC wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I would really like to installl fedora core 3. Unfortunatly everytime
    > I install it Grub just halts. The other operating system is Windows
    > 2000. Any ideas? Mandrake works well however this is Lilo.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Grub?

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:24:15 +0000, "David W. Legg"
    wrote:

    >You need a /boot partition for grub in FC3.
    >
    >ChrisC wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I would really like to installl fedora core 3. Unfortunatly everytime
    >> I install it Grub just halts. The other operating system is Windows
    >> 2000. Any ideas? Mandrake works well however this is Lilo.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    So when it asks for a base partition whatever it's called \boot should
    solve this.

    Thanks I'll try that one.

  4. Re: Grub?

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:28:13 +0000, wrote:

    > So when it asks for a base partition whatever it's called \boot should
    > solve this

    Some BIOS have problems and will can not boot any files that live above
    cylinder 1024 on the disk. If you create a "/boot" partition at boot
    time, the installer will shuffle things around so that "/boot" is below
    this critical threshold. Yes, having a "/boot" partition is a probably a
    good thing.

    I don't think this is your problem, though. (I'd happily be wrong!)

    Please describe the layout and content of each partition on your disk.

    Also provide the "fdisk -l /dev/hda" output.

    Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread