RH7 laptop problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on RH7 laptop problem - Redhat ; Greetings Redhat gurus I am having a problem making Redhat 7 work on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 480CDT. It boots fine from cd and the setup and instalation run smoothly but crashes while booting from the harddrive. The error message ...

  1. RH7 laptop problem

    Greetings Redhat gurus

    I am having a problem making Redhat 7 work on my Toshiba Satellite Pro
    480CDT. It boots fine from cd and the setup and instalation run smoothly
    but crashes while booting from the harddrive. The error message is:

    Code:89 02 85 c0 74 03 89 50 04 b8 01 00 00 00 eb 03 90 31 c0 c7
    Aiee, killing interupt handler
    Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
    In interrupt handler - not syncing

    At this point it completely locks up and a hard boot is needed to restart
    the machine.
    I have googled around for a solution but have found no other description of
    this problem. Any advice would be very appreciated. I'm eager to use this
    machine with linux as its sole operating system.

    Thanks in advance
    vYv

  2. Re: RH7 laptop problem

    Funny... As often seems to happen, no sooner had I posted this message than
    I found a solution.

    For those interested:
    It seems that the PCMCIA was the problem. I found a reference to change the
    BIOS setting from AUTO to Cardbus/16-bit. Tried it... didn't work.
    However changing it to PCIC Compatible does.

    Any replies (stories, info, whatever) still welcome. I'm relatively new to
    Linux and not too savvy.

    Cheers
    vYv

  3. Re: RH7 laptop problem

    Am Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:12:48 -0500,schrieb vYv :
    > Funny... As often seems to happen, no sooner had I posted this message than
    > I found a solution.
    >
    > For those interested:
    > It seems that the PCMCIA was the problem. I found a reference to change the
    > BIOS setting from AUTO to Cardbus/16-bit. Tried it... didn't work.
    > However changing it to PCIC Compatible does.
    >
    > Any replies (stories, info, whatever) still welcome. I'm relatively new to
    > Linux and not too savvy.

    Please excuse my curiosity, but why do you want to install RH7. Its
    pretty old and even RH9 is not supportet anymore.
    Why not taking Fedora or having a look @ whiteboxlinux.org (if you wanna
    be more than a tester ;-)

    tschazu
    erkan

    --
    über den grenzen muß die freiheit wohl wolkenlos sein

  4. Re: RH7 laptop problem

    Am Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:35:17 -0500,schrieb vYv :
    [snip]
    > A question though... My laptop is 233Mhz 32Mb. RH7 runs at a good speed in
    > both console and X. Would a newer distro be too slow?

    The slow things on new distros are the desctopenviroments. The main
    argument against RH7 is, that you dont get any securityupdates.
    If you are satisfied with your "old" distribution right now you will be
    satisfied with an newer either. Even if ive got to confess, that i was
    not that happy with my laptop (133mhz/32mb) under X.
    Always do the textinstall to go around that bloating GUI-installers.

    You can get an "actual" linuxdristribution by a magazin also.

    tschazu
    erkan

    --
    über den grenzen muß die freiheit wohl wolkenlos sein

+ Reply to Thread