Install from DVD-RAM? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Install from DVD-RAM? - Redhat ; Hello, I downloaded the FC3 DVD-ISO and did: dd if=fedora.iso of=/dev/hdc (/dev/hdc is a DVD-RAM writer) When i insert the DVD-RAM-media, then it boots and the installation process starts normally in textmode. Then (I believe this is called second stage ...

  1. Install from DVD-RAM?

    Hello,

    I downloaded the FC3 DVD-ISO and did:

    dd if=fedora.iso of=/dev/hdc

    (/dev/hdc is a DVD-RAM writer)

    When i insert the DVD-RAM-media, then it boots and the installation
    process starts normally in textmode.
    Then (I believe this is called second stage installation) it cannot go on
    and it asks for the location of the iso image. It doesnt accept /dev/hdc.

    It installs well, when given the location on harddisc.
    I would prefer to install from DVD-RAM only.

    Is this possible?

    TIA,

    peter

  2. Re: Install from DVD-RAM? Some answers, and a question : Info on DVD-RAM pls?

    Peter:
    I do not have a DVD-RAM, so my help will be limited, but if it boots, then
    why should the DVD look different?

    Normally, you should be able to use the now standard (for FC3) GUI based
    installer, which is probably more up to date that the text installer which
    has not kept up with the lates developments, and probably need some work (I

    had some issues with it).
    If you wish some non default file system, at the very beginning from the
    console you have to type something like (just an example):
    linux xfs

    And after that use the GUI based installer.
    Another tip: are you sure that /dec/hdc is the right device for your DVD
    reader? It may not! To find out the "mount", or "df" commands from the
    command line my help.

    At third reading, I realize that you would like to install linux onto the
    DVD-RAM, in other words using the DVD-RAM as a normal hard drive.
    Well, to do this you still need another CD or DVD reader to use the
    installing software, right?

    The question is that will the device driver usually reserved to a hard disk,
    (ide or scsi) work with the DVD-RAM ?
    The answer to this question may be found by using the DVD-RAM on an existing
    Linux, or using "knopix" or "rescuecd" from another CD or DVD reader.

    If you find a way, pls post it here, so other can benefit from it.
    ---------
    Notes:
    1) Did you verify the iso file (using mdsum, or derivated)? It is common to
    have errors on such large files... (I did).

    2) I have some reservation about your writing of the DVD-RAM, using "dd", I
    am not sure that dd has any error detection mechanism.
    I am wondering if you could rather use k3b, or dvdrecord to write the DVD,
    possibly using a plain DVD+R or -R, just to make sure DVD-RAM writing is
    not in the way.

    3) Note that FC3 installer allows media verification test, did it pass?
    ===

    Now, my question to youI am considering getting a DVD-RAM):
    Is the drive an LG, which model?
    How well does it work with Linux? (read and write).
    Indeed a DVD-RAm is very appealing...

    Best luck.
    - AFC3 -
    -------------------------------
    Peter Heckert wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I downloaded the FC3 DVD-ISO and did:
    > dd if=fedora.iso of=/dev/hdc
    > (/dev/hdc is a DVD-RAM writer)
    > When i insert the DVD-RAM-media, then it boots and the installation
    > process starts normally in textmode.
    > Then (I believe this is called second stage installation) it cannot go on
    > and it asks for the location of the iso image. It doesnt accept /dev/hdc.
    > It installs well, when given the location on harddisc.
    > I would prefer to install from DVD-RAM only.
    > Is this possible?
    > TIA,
    >
    > peter

  3. Re: Install from DVD-RAM?

    Hello,

    Peter Heckert wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I downloaded the FC3 DVD-ISO and did:
    >
    > dd if=fedora.iso of=/dev/hdc
    >
    > (/dev/hdc is a DVD-RAM writer)
    >
    > When i insert the DVD-RAM-media, then it boots and the installation
    > process starts normally in textmode.
    > Then (I believe this is called second stage installation) it cannot go on
    > and it asks for the location of the iso image. It doesnt accept /dev/hdc.
    >
    > It installs well, when given the location on harddisc. I would prefer to
    > install from DVD-RAM only.
    >
    > Is this possible?

    Problem solved.
    My writer was faulty and it works now after I fixed it.
    However, DVD burning is much faster than DVD-RAM-writing and I will go
    this way.

    regards,

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread