partition MS_ntfs for linux install - Redhat

This is a discussion on partition MS_ntfs for linux install - Redhat ; What's the best free tool to re-partition hard disk that has been factory partitioned (by Dell...for MS Windows XP) with a single, whole-disk partition. So that we can... 1.) push XP onto the front of disk (keep it as optional ...

  1. partition MS_ntfs for linux install

    What's the best free tool to re-partition hard disk that has been
    factory partitioned (by Dell...for MS Windows XP) with a single,
    whole-disk partition. So that we can...
    1.) push XP onto the front of disk (keep it as optional o.s.)
    2.) create second primary partition, and format it for:
    3.) install RH (or any Linux-kernel o.s)
    4.) end up with two-o.s. system: choice of XP or linux, at startup

    Previously, we used FIPS (was good for DOS partitions; but no good for
    ntfs). Something _like_ FIPS--a utility that works as well, but on
    ntfs--is what we're looking for.
    Partition Magic is probably a wonderful product, but too expensive and
    feature-full for doing this single one-time task, for one user.

    (I know, I know. This looks like a query that's about 4 years old, about
    an ancient problem. Younger posters will think it's a historical issue.
    It just did not come up here before now; but here it is now, and we are
    not up to date.)

    Much thanks, for any direction.

    - legalois

    Thanks

  2. Re: partition MS_ntfs for linux install

    legalois wrote:
    > What's the best free tool to re-partition hard disk that has been
    > factory partitioned (by Dell...for MS Windows XP) with a single,
    > whole-disk partition. So that we can...
    > 1.) push XP onto the front of disk (keep it as optional o.s.)
    > 2.) create second primary partition, and format it for:
    > 3.) install RH (or any Linux-kernel o.s)
    > 4.) end up with two-o.s. system: choice of XP or linux, at startup
    >
    > Previously, we used FIPS (was good for DOS partitions; but no good for
    > ntfs). Something _like_ FIPS--a utility that works as well, but on
    > ntfs--is what we're looking for.
    > Partition Magic is probably a wonderful product, but too expensive and
    > feature-full for doing this single one-time task, for one user.
    >
    > (I know, I know. This looks like a query that's about 4 years old, about
    > an ancient problem. Younger posters will think it's a historical issue.
    > It just did not come up here before now; but here it is now, and we are
    > not up to date.)
    >
    > Much thanks, for any direction.
    >
    > - legalois
    >

    > Thanks

    P.S. Yes--before anybody feels the need to ask--I have done the usual
    required leg-work for myself, Checked books in my library for RH and
    other Linux-kernel o.s. installation procs., searched archives, Google
    for most likely keywords...the usual drill. I suspect it even came up on
    this group, but could have been a long time ago.
    - legalois

  3. Re: partition MS_ntfs for linux install

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:53:13 +0100, legalois wrote:

    > What's the best free tool to re-partition hard disk that has been
    > factory partitioned (by Dell...for MS Windows XP) with a single,
    > whole-disk partition. So that we can... 1.) push XP onto the front of
    > disk (keep it as optional o.s.) 2.) create second primary partition, and
    > format it for: 3.) install RH (or any Linux-kernel o.s) 4.) end up with
    > two-o.s. system: choice of XP or linux, at startup

    Visit; http://www.sysresccd.org/ and download/burn the ISO image to a CD.
    The tool (QTParted) your looking for is one of many tools the CD was built
    for.

  4. Re: partition MS_ntfs for linux install

    legalois wrote:

    > What's the best free tool to re-partition hard disk that has been
    > factory partitioned (by Dell...for MS Windows XP) with a single,
    > whole-disk partition. So that we can...
    > 1.) push XP onto the front of disk (keep it as optional o.s.)
    > 2.) create second primary partition, and format it for:
    > 3.) install RH (or any Linux-kernel o.s)
    > 4.) end up with two-o.s. system: choice of XP or linux, at startup
    >
    > Previously, we used FIPS (was good for DOS partitions; but no good for
    > ntfs). Something _like_ FIPS--a utility that works as well, but on
    > ntfs--is what we're looking for.
    > Partition Magic is probably a wonderful product, but too expensive and
    > feature-full for doing this single one-time task, for one user.
    >
    > (I know, I know. This looks like a query that's about 4 years old, about
    > an ancient problem. Younger posters will think it's a historical issue.
    > It just did not come up here before now; but here it is now, and we are
    > not up to date.)
    >
    > Much thanks, for any direction.
    >
    > - legalois
    >

    > Thanks

    The tool used by the latest Mandrake releases installer works fine with NTFS
    and is very simple to use. I start installing Mandrake and, after the
    partitioning, I reboot with the installer of RedHat. Seems that QTParted,
    the tool shipped with Fedora, has some problem with NTFS.

    bye.

+ Reply to Thread