Problems with FC3 images - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with FC3 images - Redhat ; I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them the only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for the images and they are all OK. I burned a second set ...

  1. Problems with FC3 images

    I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them the
    only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for the
    images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the only
    one that checks out, again, is #1.

    What's wrong?

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  2. Re: Problems with FC3 images --> verify the validity of the iso files using md5sum.

    Mark:
    Before you even burn CD's you should verify the validity of the iso files
    using md5sum.
    It is not uncommon to have corrupted files, if you just use ftp. (I did).
    In theory, if you use rsync, this should not happen, but I have not done
    it so far.
    - AGC3 -

    Mark Healey wrote:

    > I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them the
    > only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for the
    > images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the only
    > one that checks out, again, is #1.
    >
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Healey
    > marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  3. Re: Problems with FC3 images

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them

    the
    > only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for

    the
    > images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the only
    > one that checks out, again, is #1.
    >
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Healey
    > marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    Google
    fc3 media check md5sum

    Pick your poison.

    hth
    prg
    email above disabled

  4. Re: Problems with FC3 images

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them

    the
    > only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for

    the
    > images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the only
    > one that checks out, again, is #1.
    >
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Healey
    > marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    Second time today I've followed up my own post. Sorry :-(

    Could not remember where I had seen this in the first post:
    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00271.html
    prg

  5. Re: Problems with FC3 images

    I had this problem too, only the first disk burnt successfully.
    i burnt it on k3b. seems that a memory overflow or something might have
    been the culprit, especially if you burn them one after the othre, the
    first disk works.

    i have now solved the k3b permission problems on my FC3, but i had not
    tried that again.

    at that time, i finally boot to windows just to burn those CDs as i don't
    want to waste my disks and time. i'll try it again on FC4 to see if the
    problem persists.

    you can try to burn disk2 first then CD3 and CD1. check if only the first
    disk is successful. all that if you can afford the time and CDRs

    ---- 19 Owls ----

    > I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them the
    > only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for the
    > images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the only
    > one that checks out, again, is #1.
    >
    > What's wrong?

  6. Re: Problems with FC3 images --> verify the validity of the iso files using md5sum.

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  7. Re: Problems with FC3 images

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:37:31 UTC, "prg"
    wrote:

    > Mark Healey wrote:
    > > I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test them

    > the
    > > only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums for

    > the
    > > images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the only
    > > one that checks out, again, is #1.
    > >
    > > What's wrong?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mark Healey
    > > marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    > Second time today I've followed up my own post. Sorry :-(
    >
    > Could not remember where I had seen this in the first post:
    > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00271.html

    The message says:

    Actually it should have been disabled, the media check in FC3 is
    broken
    unless you burned the CD with padding. The ide-cd driver is broken and
    FC uses ide-cd not ide-scsi (sanely for all sorts of other reasons).

    How risky is it for me to just try an install anyway?

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  8. Re: Problems with FC3 images

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:37:31 UTC, "prg"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Mark Healey wrote:
    > > > I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test

    them
    > > the
    > > > only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the MD5 sums

    for
    > > the
    > > > images and they are all OK. I burned a second set and still the

    only
    > > > one that checks out, again, is #1.
    > > >
    > > > What's wrong?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Mark Healey
    > > > marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    > > Second time today I've followed up my own post. Sorry :-(
    > >
    > > Could not remember where I had seen this in the first post:

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00271.html

    > The message says:
    >
    > Actually it should have been disabled, the media check in FC3 is
    > broken
    > unless you burned the CD with padding. The ide-cd driver is broken

    and
    > FC uses ide-cd not ide-scsi (sanely for all sorts of other reasons).
    >
    > How risky is it for me to just try an install anyway?

    Have not tried planned install of FC3 -- maybe not till _next_ week
    (keeps getting pushed back

    >From the posts I've read, if your own md5sum checks pass muster -- ie.,

    the iso checksums from download source check with downloaded image and
    your cd image checksum matches (I find K3b very handy for this -- check
    verify) then your cd burn is good and everything should be OK. Except
    for the usual compatiblilty gotchas, etc.

    My images all passed and I plan to use them.

    I think the list post indicates that the checksums used by media check
    were run against images that were burned with padding -- so unless you
    can magically duplicate the padding there is no way media check will
    pass. I conclude that the checksums used by media check are "hard
    wired" (which makes sense as the checksums _can't_ be verified against
    checksum files on disk).

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  9. Re: Problems with FC3 images

    Il /25 dic 2004/, *19owls* ha scritto:

    > I had this problem too, only the first disk burnt successfully.
    > i burnt it on k3b. seems that a memory overflow or something might
    > have been the culprit, especially if you burn them one after the
    > othre, the first disk works.
    >
    > i have now solved the k3b permission problems on my FC3, but i had
    > not tried that again.
    >
    > at that time, i finally boot to windows just to burn those CDs as
    > i don't want to waste my disks and time. i'll try it again on FC4
    > to see if the problem persists.
    >
    > you can try to burn disk2 first then CD3 and CD1. check if only
    > the first disk is successful. all that if you can afford the time
    > and CDRs
    >

    > ---- 19 Owls ----
    >
    >> I dowloaded the install disks for Fedora Core 3. When I test
    >> them the only one that passes is disk 1. I double checked the
    >> MD5 sums for the images and they are all OK. I burned a second
    >> set and still the only one that checks out, again, is #1.
    >>
    >> What's wrong?

    I had the same problem: I checked many times MD5 and all was ok.
    I burned by two different tools on sony cd and then tdk cd.
    I burned also on different days, a cd on a day.
    The result was always the same: only cd 1 passes the mediacheck!!!
    Then I purchased FC3 cds and all cds pass the mediacheck!!!
    I do not understand!!!

+ Reply to Thread