Problems with X server on Fedora 2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with X server on Fedora 2 - Redhat ; Not to long ago I upgraded a machine running Redhat 9 and went straight to Fedora 2. After a bit of fussing I got everything working or at least I thought I did. Today I noticed for the first time ...

  1. Problems with X server on Fedora 2

    Not to long ago I upgraded a machine running Redhat 9 and went straight
    to Fedora 2. After a bit of fussing I got everything working or at least
    I thought I did. Today I noticed for the first time that when I try to
    display an X application on the machine the X server refuses the connection.
    I've done the normal things like set the DISPLAY variable and have run 'xhost
    +' on the machine.

    Does anyone have any idea of things to look for? I'm assuming that this is
    some kind of Redhat thing to help with "security". :-)

    -------------------
    fwp@deepthought.com

  2. Re: Problems with X server on Fedora 2

    Frank Pittel wrote:
    > Not to long ago I upgraded a machine running Redhat 9 and went straight
    > to Fedora 2. After a bit of fussing I got everything working or at least
    > I thought I did. Today I noticed for the first time that when I try to
    > display an X application on the machine the X server refuses the connection.
    > I've done the normal things like set the DISPLAY variable and have run 'xhost
    > +' on the machine.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea of things to look for? I'm assuming that this is
    > some kind of Redhat thing to help with "security". :-)

    Try:

    xhost +
    ssh @
    echo $DISPLAY
    export $DISPLAY= <== if necessary

  3. Re: Problems with X server on Fedora 2

    Josh Rovero wrote:
    : Frank Pittel wrote:
    : > Not to long ago I upgraded a machine running Redhat 9 and went straight
    : > to Fedora 2. After a bit of fussing I got everything working or at least
    : > I thought I did. Today I noticed for the first time that when I try to
    : > display an X application on the machine the X server refuses the connection.
    : > I've done the normal things like set the DISPLAY variable and have run 'xhost
    : > +' on the machine.
    : >
    : > Does anyone have any idea of things to look for? I'm assuming that this is
    : > some kind of Redhat thing to help with "security". :-)

    : Try:

    : xhost +
    : ssh @
    : echo $DISPLAY