dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB - Redhat

This is a discussion on dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB - Redhat ; Is this the place for a GRUB question? I have windows xp entirely occupying hda and installed fedora core 3 on hdb, but I made the mistake of telling the install to put the grub loader on hda. I think ...

  1. dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB

    Is this the place for a GRUB question?

    I have windows xp entirely occupying hda and installed fedora core 3
    on hdb, but I made the mistake of telling the install to put the grub
    loader on hda. I think I should have put it on the other drive. So
    now I've rebooted the cd into resuce and have chrooted to the
    installed file system, and here below is the relevant section of
    grub.conf:

    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVo100 rhgb
    quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    title Other
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    What happens on bootup is that it hangs at the GRUB statement and goes
    no further. I don't understand the /dev/VolGroup00 stuff, but *think*
    maybe the system misidentified the disk as a RAID volume????

    I need to know how to recover here to get both operating systems back.
    (The computer has no floppy.) Failing recovery, if I have to
    reinstall both OS's, how do I prevent this from happening again?
    Where should the grub bootloader be located?
    Thanks in advance for your response.

    -dvd

  2. Re: dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB -- few advises --

    DVD:
    I suggest tha you have a separate boot partition (where /boot is mounted).
    Actually the success of a multi-boot system resides in partitioning the
    disk(s) properly, before doing anything else, then install windows, the
    install Linux. There are other ways, but they require a good understanding
    of how things.

    I suggest you read the HOWTO(s) for multi-boot.
    Here is the reference.

    The Linux documentation project, lots of excellent documentation.

    For RedHat specific, the RedHat web site has good manuals available on line
    (free) and on paper.

    This being said:
    You need at least four partitions (more can be convenient):

    One for Windows (FAT32).
    One for /boot, (mine has 30M which is plenty). Usually ext3 type.
    One swap partition, about twice the memory size (1 GB is plenty).
    One for mounting the / (the whole system) this one at least 6GB for Fedora.
    (Mine is xfs).
    ===
    Use manual and when asked install Grub on the first sector of the partition
    where Linux ( /) is installed.
    This will overwrite sector zero of your boot disk (easy to restore if you
    wish), but nothing more.
    ===
    I have no experience with RAIDS, but you may want to have first a simple
    working multi-boot syste, them add the RAID funtionality.
    ====
    - AFC3 -
    Dilbert Buntley wrote:

    > Is this the place for a GRUB question?
    >
    > I have windows xp entirely occupying hda and installed fedora core 3
    > on hdb, but I made the mistake of telling the install to put the grub
    > loader on hda. I think I should have put it on the other drive. So
    > now I've rebooted the cd into resuce and have chrooted to the
    > installed file system, and here below is the relevant section of
    > grub.conf:
    >
    > hiddenmenu
    > title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    > root (hd1,1)
    > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVo100 rhgb
    > quiet
    > initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    > title Other
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > What happens on bootup is that it hangs at the GRUB statement and goes
    > no further. I don't understand the /dev/VolGroup00 stuff, but *think*
    > maybe the system misidentified the disk as a RAID volume????
    >
    > I need to know how to recover here to get both operating systems back.
    > (The computer has no floppy.) Failing recovery, if I have to
    > reinstall both OS's, how do I prevent this from happening again?
    > Where should the grub bootloader be located?
    > Thanks in advance for your response.
    >
    > -dvd

  3. Re: dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB -- few advises --

    Well thanks for your suggestions. I installed a new floppy drive and a
    new BIOS in the computer that has LBA support for big hard drives over
    1024 cylinders, reinstalled Windows XP on hd1 (reparting and
    reformatting hd1 in NTFS and FAT32), reinstalled Fedora Core 3 on hd2
    (reparting and reformatting hd2 in ext3, with three partitions for boot,
    root, swap), installed GRUB on hd2 so it wouldn't interfere with Bill
    Gates' breakfast, and now, just as I anticipated, the system boots right
    into Windows without a peep from GRUB. Once again I tried the rescue
    system from the Fedora cd and tried editing grub.conf, but no dice. At
    least Windows boots now, but Fedora is inaccessible.

    I read on the Redhat site and several other places that it is easier to
    have the entire first disk devoted to windows and the entire second disk
    devoted to Linux (leaving aside the performance issue of having /swap on
    a different physical disk). So I followed this advice and have
    installed one OS per physical disk.

    Can somebody suggest a way to make the system display the GRUB menu from
    hd2 without booting directly into Windows so that I don't have to
    reinstall the damned thing again?

    Failing that, can somebody suggest another distro of Linux that will
    install properly in an exclusive dual-boot setup with Windows XP and
    will EITHER not wipe out the windows loader when the linux loader is on
    the first hard drive where Windows resides OR will display the choice of
    systems to load when the linux loader is installed on the second hard
    drive where linux resides?

    This is incredibly frustrating.

    AnonymousFC3 wrote:
    > DVD:
    > I suggest tha you have a separate boot partition (where /boot is mounted).
    > Actually the success of a multi-boot system resides in partitioning the
    > disk(s) properly, before doing anything else, then install windows, the
    > install Linux. There are other ways, but they require a good understanding
    > of how things.
    >
    > I suggest you read the HOWTO(s) for multi-boot.
    > Here is the reference.
    >
    > The Linux documentation project, lots of excellent documentation.
    >
    > For RedHat specific, the RedHat web site has good manuals available on line
    > (free) and on paper.
    >
    > This being said:
    > You need at least four partitions (more can be convenient):
    >
    > One for Windows (FAT32).
    > One for /boot, (mine has 30M which is plenty). Usually ext3 type.
    > One swap partition, about twice the memory size (1 GB is plenty).
    > One for mounting the / (the whole system) this one at least 6GB for Fedora.
    > (Mine is xfs).
    > ===
    > Use manual and when asked install Grub on the first sector of the partition
    > where Linux ( /) is installed.
    > This will overwrite sector zero of your boot disk (easy to restore if you
    > wish), but nothing more.
    > ===
    > I have no experience with RAIDS, but you may want to have first a simple
    > working multi-boot syste, them add the RAID funtionality.
    > ====
    > - AFC3 -
    > Dilbert Buntley wrote:
    >

    >>Is this the place for a GRUB question?
    >>
    >>I have windows xp entirely occupying hda and installed fedora core 3
    >>on hdb, but I made the mistake of telling the install to put the grub
    >>loader on hda. I think I should have put it on the other drive. So
    >>now I've rebooted the cd into resuce and have chrooted to the
    >>installed file system, and here below is the relevant section of
    >>grub.conf:
    >>
    >>hiddenmenu
    >>title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    >> root (hd1,1)
    >> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVo100 rhgb
    >> quiet
    >> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    >>title Other
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >>What happens on bootup is that it hangs at the GRUB statement and goes
    >>no further. I don't understand the /dev/VolGroup00 stuff, but *think*
    >>maybe the system misidentified the disk as a RAID volume????
    >>
    >>I need to know how to recover here to get both operating systems back.
    >>(The computer has no floppy.) Failing recovery, if I have to
    >>reinstall both OS's, how do I prevent this from happening again?
    >>Where should the grub bootloader be located?
    >>Thanks in advance for your response.
    >>
    >>-dvd

  4. Re: dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB -- few advises --

    Sorry, posting from a different account where Frobish is a logical
    device mapped to Dilbert Buntley, itself a ghostly reference.
    (Frobish is Dilbert)

    AnonymousFC3 wrote:

    > DVD:
    > I suggest tha you have a separate boot partition (where /boot is mounted).
    > Actually the success of a multi-boot system resides in partitioning the
    > disk(s) properly, before doing anything else, then install windows, the
    > install Linux. There are other ways, but they require a good understanding
    > of how things.
    >
    > I suggest you read the HOWTO(s) for multi-boot.
    > Here is the reference.
    >
    > The Linux documentation project, lots of excellent documentation.
    >
    > For RedHat specific, the RedHat web site has good manuals available on line
    > (free) and on paper.
    >
    > This being said:
    > You need at least four partitions (more can be convenient):
    >
    > One for Windows (FAT32).
    > One for /boot, (mine has 30M which is plenty). Usually ext3 type.
    > One swap partition, about twice the memory size (1 GB is plenty).
    > One for mounting the / (the whole system) this one at least 6GB for Fedora.
    > (Mine is xfs).
    > ===
    > Use manual and when asked install Grub on the first sector of the partition
    > where Linux ( /) is installed.
    > This will overwrite sector zero of your boot disk (easy to restore if you
    > wish), but nothing more.
    > ===
    > I have no experience with RAIDS, but you may want to have first a simple
    > working multi-boot syste, them add the RAID funtionality.
    > ====
    > - AFC3 -
    > Dilbert Buntley wrote:
    >

    >>Is this the place for a GRUB question?
    >>
    >>I have windows xp entirely occupying hda and installed fedora core 3
    >>on hdb, but I made the mistake of telling the install to put the grub
    >>loader on hda. I think I should have put it on the other drive. So
    >>now I've rebooted the cd into resuce and have chrooted to the
    >>installed file system, and here below is the relevant section of
    >>grub.conf:
    >>
    >>hiddenmenu
    >>title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    >> root (hd1,1)
    >> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVo100 rhgb
    >> quiet
    >> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    >>title Other
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >>What happens on bootup is that it hangs at the GRUB statement and goes
    >>no further. I don't understand the /dev/VolGroup00 stuff, but *think*
    >>maybe the system misidentified the disk as a RAID volume????
    >>
    >>I need to know how to recover here to get both operating systems back.
    >>(The computer has no floppy.) Failing recovery, if I have to
    >>reinstall both OS's, how do I prevent this from happening again?
    >>Where should the grub bootloader be located?
    >>Thanks in advance for your response.
    >>
    >>-dvd

  5. Re: dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB -- few advises --

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:26:42 +0000, frobish wrote:

    > Can somebody suggest a way to make the system display the GRUB menu from
    > hd2 without booting directly into Windows so that I don't have to
    > reinstall the damned thing again?

    From; http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html

    You may choose to let another boot loader handle the install, in which
    case you will want to:

    Boot into Linux and copy the boot image from the first sector of your boot
    partition. You'll want to take 512 bytes of this partition once, and write
    it out to a file called bootsect.lnx. The entry should look like:

    dd if=/dev/hdX of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

    Move that file onto your c:\ drive and edit boot.ini, adding the following
    line:

    c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

  6. Re: dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB

    frobish:
    helping you there is a bit tricky.
    But I have the feeling that you take the most complicated path!

    Suggest you try at first the "simple stuff": get dual boot working on one
    disk, when it works, get a bit fancier.

    1) Make sure your BIOS uses LBA mode (to get this out of the way)
    2) Partion properly your drive(see my first reply).
    3) Install window, probably (but not necessarly on /dev/hda1
    Make sure it works.
    4) Install Fedora 3, manual install.
    use GRUB, loader on the first sector of linux partition.
    make sure that /, /boot, swap aprtition are properly mounted.
    IT should work .
    Note that with FC3 you have to hit the keyboard to get the Grub menu, to
    access other OS's (this is confusing).

    If you want help, be very concise and specific on what is the problem.
    I hate to give the rtfm advise, but at this phase of Fedora 3, you need to
    understand what you are doing, somewhat.
    ----
    Note: Other distros are more multi-boot (and filesystem) friendly: Suse and
    Mandrake, may be others. As long as windows is installed and there is room,
    they install a multi boot system linux. You may want to try them.
    Hopefully at some point Fedora will also be "multi-boot (and FS) friendly".

    AFC3

    frobish wrote:

> [...]
    >>>grub.conf:
    >>>
    >>>hiddenmenu
    >>>title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    >>> root (hd1,1)
    >>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVo100 rhgb
    >>> quiet
    >>> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    >>>title Other
    >>> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>>
    >>>What happens on bootup is that it hangs at the GRUB statement and goes
    >>>no further. I don't understand the /dev/VolGroup00 stuff, but *think*
    >>>maybe the system misidentified the disk as a RAID volume????
    >>>
    >>>I need to know how to recover here to get both operating systems back.
    >>>(The computer has no floppy.) Failing recovery, if I have to
    >>>reinstall both OS's, how do I prevent this from happening again?
    >>>Where should the grub bootloader be located?

  7. Re: dual boot xp/fedora with GRUB

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:41:24 -0800, AnonymousFC3 wrote:

    One more thing all you have to do is put your xp boot cd in. when it
    first initializes itll ask you do u want to repair an installtion thru
    the repair console. press r to enter. itll find your install and ask
    you for your admin pword. once your in jus type in "fixmbr" w/o
    quotes. itll say something about nonstandard bootloader. agree and
    move on. afterwards you'll be able to get into windows. linux... im
    not sure maybe another distro?

+ Reply to Thread