Upgrading from Redhat 8 to 9 from ISOs - Redhat

This is a discussion on Upgrading from Redhat 8 to 9 from ISOs - Redhat ; Ok, a few easy(?) questions for all you gurus out there (or anyone else willing to give some helpful advice to a novice) since I've never done this before... I installed Redhat 8.0 on all my desktop and server machines ...

  1. Upgrading from Redhat 8 to 9 from ISOs

    Ok, a few easy(?) questions for all you gurus out there (or anyone else
    willing to give some helpful advice to a novice) since I've never done this
    before...

    I installed Redhat 8.0 on all my desktop and server machines on my network,
    from CDs that came in the box I bought several years ago, relatively
    recently and am quickly learning about Linux from a combination of man
    pages, web search results, these newsgroups, info pages, and, of course,
    trial/error... Now I've been told all too many times recently, particularly
    in these newsgroups, that, for a variety of reasons (many convincingly
    good) I *need* to upgrade to RedHat 9.0.

    So I've downloaded the 3 install ISOs from LinuxISO.org and managed to mount
    the ISOs from the command line and can explore them from a terminal window
    or nautilus without a problem. My main concern here is that if I try to
    start the install procedure it's going to want to use all three "CD's" and
    reboot at least once in the process, which I'm not sure how to handle. So,
    basically, I think my questions boil down to:

    1) Can I mount more than one of the three ISO's at a time (like all three
    maybe) as cdrom, cdrom1, & cdrom2 or some such?

    2) Can I somehow setup a way for the system to auto-mount the image(s) at
    reboot so it can continue the process without my burning them to actual
    CD-ROMs?

    3) Is this not the right/best way to upgrade my operating system? Should I
    instead be copying the release-notes and redhat directories from each ISO to
    a single directory on my hard drive and start the install from those? (I
    think that's what the readme is saying to do, but I'm very unclear on this.)

    Any and all help is very appreciated,
    -=Conner=-

    --
    Visit The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org for some family
    fun in a medieval setting, or come test your mettle in the Land of Legends,

  2. Re: Upgrading from Redhat 8 to 9 from ISOs

    Conner Destron wrote:
    > Ok, a few easy(?) questions for all you gurus out there (or anyone else
    > willing to give some helpful advice to a novice) since I've never done this
    > before...
    >
    > I installed Redhat 8.0 on all my desktop and server machines on my network,
    > from CDs that came in the box I bought several years ago, relatively
    > recently and am quickly learning about Linux from a combination of man
    > pages, web search results, these newsgroups, info pages, and, of course,
    > trial/error... Now I've been told all too many times recently, particularly
    > in these newsgroups, that, for a variety of reasons (many convincingly
    > good) I *need* to upgrade to RedHat 9.0.
    >
    > So I've downloaded the 3 install ISOs from LinuxISO.org and managed to mount
    > the ISOs from the command line and can explore them from a terminal window
    > or nautilus without a problem. My main concern here is that if I try to
    > start the install procedure it's going to want to use all three "CD's" and
    > reboot at least once in the process, which I'm not sure how to handle. So,
    > basically, I think my questions boil down to:
    >
    > 1) Can I mount more than one of the three ISO's at a time (like all three
    > maybe) as cdrom, cdrom1, & cdrom2 or some such?

    I guess that woulkd be possible if you had 3 CDROMs, but it is not at
    all necessary. Read on...

    > 2) Can I somehow setup a way for the system to auto-mount the image(s) at
    > reboot so it can continue the process without my burning them to actual
    > CD-ROMs?

    I believe there is a way of installing the images on a drive and
    installing it over a network, but I forget the details. Google "network
    install linux" and you'll likely find the answer. Might be a good idea
    if you have a large network, but in any case I'd try it on a
    test/non-production machine first.

    > 3) Is this not the right/best way to upgrade my operating system? Should I
    > instead be copying the release-notes and redhat directories from each ISO to
    > a single directory on my hard drive and start the install from those? (I
    > think that's what the readme is saying to do, but I'm very unclear on this.)

    The best way is to:
    1. download the ISOs (already done)
    2. check the MD5s
    3. burn the disks as ISOs
    4. install from CDROM. Unlinke Windoze it will only reboot at the end
    after the install

    Enjoy!
    Dave

    > Any and all help is very appreciated,
    > -=Conner=-
    >
    > --
    > Visit The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org for some family
    > fun in a medieval setting, or come test your mettle in the Land of Legends,
    > our MUD, at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
    > For general info, visit http://www.tcdbbs.zapto.org

  3. Re: Upgrading from Redhat 8 to 9 from ISOs

    "DaveinSidney" wrote:
    > Conner Destron wrote:
    >> 1) Can I mount more than one of the three ISO's at a time (like all three
    >> maybe) as cdrom, cdrom1, & cdrom2 or some such?
    >>

    > I guess that woulkd be possible if you had 3 CDROMs, but it is not at
    > all necessary. Read on...

    You couldn't do it with virtual drives like the B drive in M$'s world?

    >> 2) Can I somehow setup a way for the system to auto-mount the image(s) at
    >> reboot so it can continue the process without my burning them to actual
    >> CD-ROMs?

    > I believe there is a way of installing the images on a drive and
    > installing it over a network, but I forget the details. Google "network
    > install linux" and you'll likely find the answer. Might be a good idea if
    > you have a large network, but in any case I'd try it on a
    > test/non-production machine first.

    I think I did read something about that, but I was thinking of a more local
    install from hard drive type option. As the connection between servers on my
    network can become questionable at times.

    >> 3) Is this not the right/best way to upgrade my operating system? Should
    >> I instead be copying the release-notes and redhat directories from each
    >> ISO to a single directory on my hard drive and start the install from
    >> those? (I think that's what the readme is saying to do, but I'm very
    >> unclear on this.)

    > The best way is to:
    > 1. download the ISOs (already done)
    > 2. check the MD5s
    > 3. burn the disks as ISOs
    > 4. install from CDROM. Unlinke Windoze it will only reboot at the end
    > after the install

    Ok, was hoping to avoid the burn to CD-ROM stage if possible, but it
    probably would be the safest way to go.
    Sorry about the long delay in response, been kinda busy with other
    preparations for the trip... maybe will let this wait until I get back
    already.
    -=Conner=-

    --
    Visit The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org for some family
    fun in a medieval setting, or come test your mettle in the Land of Legends,
    our MUD, at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
    For general info, visit http://tcdbbs.zapto.org

+ Reply to Thread