How to create binary ISOs from source RPMs? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to create binary ISOs from source RPMs? - Redhat ; This is probably a FAQ, but I was unable to find any references to this process. I have several older systems (mostly single and dual PIIs) currently running RH9 or less. Ideally, I would like to build FC3 kernels, as ...

  1. How to create binary ISOs from source RPMs?

    This is probably a FAQ, but I was unable to find any references to
    this process.

    I have several older systems (mostly single and dual PIIs) currently
    running RH9 or less. Ideally, I would like to build FC3 kernels, as
    well as as the other RPMs, specifically tuned for these systems. I
    also would prefer to do a fresh install, rather than an upgrade.

    I am able to build a kernel for these, but how do I now build all of
    the SRPMs, and then get them onto a ISO image to burn to CD? I
    essentially want to end up with CDs of the binaries that I can boot up
    and install a new system from.

    (As a side note, I built a kernel (2.6.9) for a dual PII, which
    currently has RH9 - 2.4.20-8smp - installed, but when I tried to boot
    it, I got error messages about not finding logical volumes. Is there
    another step I need to do for this?)

    Finally, I have a 486 box (10 yrs old and still chugging away, albeit
    slowly :-)) that I would also like to get FC3 running on.
    Unfortunately, it cannot boot from its CDRom. Given that I have
    binaries on CD for this box, how would I boot the installation up from
    a floppy?

    Again, sorry if this is a FAQ. Any pointers to appropriate documents
    will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA.

    kbb AT softsteps DOT com

  2. Re: How to create binary ISOs from source RPMs?

    Ken:
    1- fresh install is a good idea: upgrades are unreliable, this is iherent
    to the rpm based system.

    2- Unless I miss something you do not need to build psecial kernel, the
    FC3 ISo, with updates, works quite well. The install shall detect the dual
    CPU and install the proper kernel (with SMP extension).

    3- For your old system, Booting from CD would make things easier: only
    old versions of Linux had this option. May I suggest that you move your
    system to the newer one (with a BIOS+bootable CDROM) install Linux, and
    then move back the Hard Disk to your old system.
    This is probably a very easy way.
    Else if you have broadbad connection, you may install SuSe Linux which
    allows ftp install. (The Only one that I am aware of, but may be more).

    4- There is no need to rebuild all the RPMS, for your other system.
    But if you really want a source based system, Gentoo is your best bet:
    people seem to love it, but the install is more involved and may take over
    10 hours of a 486. Unless you have a very compelling reason to rebuild all
    the RPMS, you will be better off, using "off the box" binary RPMS.
    See "alt.os.linux.gentoo" and others...

    5-If you really want to create you own ISOs distribution, this is actually
    not soo hard to do, but you probably need to read the developper manual, to
    grasp everything you need to know.

    - AFC3 -

    Ken Bass wrote:

    > This is probably a FAQ, but I was unable to find any references to
    > this process.
    >
    > I have several older systems (mostly single and dual PIIs) currently
    > running RH9 or less. Ideally, I would like to build FC3 kernels, as
    > well as as the other RPMs, specifically tuned for these systems. I
    > also would prefer to do a fresh install, rather than an upgrade.
    >
    > I am able to build a kernel for these, but how do I now build all of
    > the SRPMs, and then get them onto a ISO image to burn to CD? I
    > essentially want to end up with CDs of the binaries that I can boot up
    > and install a new system from.
    >
    > (As a side note, I built a kernel (2.6.9) for a dual PII, which
    > currently has RH9 - 2.4.20-8smp - installed, but when I tried to boot
    > it, I got error messages about not finding logical volumes. Is there
    > another step I need to do for this?)
    >
    > Finally, I have a 486 box (10 yrs old and still chugging away, albeit
    > slowly :-)) that I would also like to get FC3 running on.
    > Unfortunately, it cannot boot from its CDRom. Given that I have
    > binaries on CD for this box, how would I boot the installation up from
    > a floppy?
    >
    > Again, sorry if this is a FAQ. Any pointers to appropriate documents
    > will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > kbb AT softsteps DOT com

+ Reply to Thread