Need info!! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Need info!! - Redhat ; i just try to install redhat 9 on an old Hp NetServer LH box that runs all scsi 4x4.2Gb Drives and scsi cd-rom... when booting from cd system stop and say... no cd-rom device found...... i just want to know ...

  1. Need info!!

    i just try to install redhat 9 on an old Hp NetServer LH box that runs all
    scsi 4x4.2Gb Drives and scsi cd-rom...

    when booting from cd system stop and say... no cd-rom device found......

    i just want to know wich version of linux redhat or mandrake will support my
    current scsi adapter and let me boot from cd-rom or something else....

    email me please!!!

    thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Need info!!

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:20:26 -0400, Xan2 wrote:

    > i just try to install redhat 9 on an old Hp NetServer LH box that runs
    > all scsi 4x4.2Gb Drives and scsi cd-rom...
    >
    > when booting from cd system stop and say... no cd-rom device found......
    >
    > i just want to know wich version of linux redhat or mandrake will
    > support my current scsi adapter and let me boot from cd-rom or something
    > else....

    Swap the CD device and at least one hard drive to the Symbios Logic Inc.
    SCSI Apapter to install Linux with. For the HP NetRAID-1M (in ether
    case for installation or use after) you will need to build your own
    drivers (ftp links below) for the SCSI card and make a drivers disk(to
    load the driver for installation of Linux) in order to use after
    installation. If you have another system with a version of Linux (with the
    same kernel version as on the installation CD) you want install on the
    NetServer.

    ftp://ftp.lsil.com/pub/linux-megarai...ersion-2.00.7/
    ftp://ftp.lsil.com/pub/linux-megarai...B2.04.14.2004/

    > email me please!!!

    No, post here read here!!

    > thanks in advance.

    Your welcome and good luck

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  3. Re: Need info!!

    my adapter is a Adaptec AIC-7850 on-board.... 2 scsi channels.... ive got my
    2 hdd's and my cd-rom running on the same channel. secondary scsi channel is
    unused...

    HDD1 ID #0
    HDD2 ID #1
    CD-ROM ID #5

    can you just exaplain me little more whut you mean by swap cd-rom....

    i tryed redhat 9 and windows 2000 pro.... won't boot... only windows 98 boot
    fine.... but i want redhat running on this box...

    thanks in advance!

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.10.15.16.43.13.517464@127.0.0.1...
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:20:26 -0400, Xan2 wrote:
    >
    > > i just try to install redhat 9 on an old Hp NetServer LH box that runs
    > > all scsi 4x4.2Gb Drives and scsi cd-rom...
    > >
    > > when booting from cd system stop and say... no cd-rom device found......
    > >
    > > i just want to know wich version of linux redhat or mandrake will
    > > support my current scsi adapter and let me boot from cd-rom or something
    > > else....

    > Swap the CD device and at least one hard drive to the Symbios Logic Inc.
    > SCSI Apapter to install Linux with. For the HP NetRAID-1M (in ether
    > case for installation or use after) you will need to build your own
    > drivers (ftp links below) for the SCSI card and make a drivers disk(to
    > load the driver for installation of Linux) in order to use after
    > installation. If you have another system with a version of Linux (with the
    > same kernel version as on the installation CD) you want install on the
    > NetServer.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.lsil.com/pub/linux-megarai...ersion-2.00.7/

    ftp://ftp.lsil.com/pub/linux-megarai...B2.04.14.2004/

    > > email me please!!!

    > No, post here read here!!
    >
    > > thanks in advance.

    > Your welcome and good luck
    >

    > --
    > Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    > This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  4. Re: Need info!!

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:02:17 -0400, Xan2 wrote:

    > my adapter is a Adaptec AIC-7850 on-board.... 2 scsi channels.... ive
    > got my 2 hdd's and my cd-rom running on the same channel. secondary scsi
    > channel is unused...
    >
    > HDD1 ID #0
    > HDD2 ID #1
    > CD-ROM ID #5
    >
    > can you just exaplain me little more whut you mean by swap cd-rom....
    >
    > i tryed redhat 9 and windows 2000 pro.... won't boot... only windows 98
    > boot fine.... but i want redhat running on this box...

    What is the model number of the HP NetServer LH ? Have you checked at HP's
    support site for the latest available BIOS for this system?

    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h...&lang=en&cc=us

    The reason I'm asking is, it sounds like you may not have the latest BIOS
    which is why you cannot boot from the Windows 2000 Pro or RHL9 CD. Earlier
    version of the BIOS would not support booting from any CD other than a
    'DOS floppy emulation mode' CD like the Windows 98 CD. In this case it
    would not matter which of the SCSI devices and/or channels the CD-ROM is
    on. Some versions of the HP NetServer LH series even with the updated BIOS
    and other firmware updates installed still cannot boot from anything other
    than a 'floppy emulation mode' CD. In this case visit for a workaround
    floppy disk image that will allow booting from the CD;

    http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/...inux/sbootmgr/

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  5. Re: Need info!!

    its not the bios... my bios support cd boot... when i press power on ... the
    server scan all pci/eisa bus etc... and then they detect a boottable cd-rom
    found....

    then i got this error:

    isolinux: found something at drive 80h
    isolinux: found something at drive 81h
    isolinux: found something at drive 82h
    No Cd-Rom Device found, boot failed.

    i also tryed booting whit a boot disk.... boot failed.
    i also tryed to boot whitout any hdds on the server and im getting this
    error;

    isolinux: found something at drive 80h
    No Cd-Rom Device found, boot failed.

    :\

    i have no idea what to do now...

  6. Re: Need info!!

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:12:46 -0400, Xan2 wrote:

    > its not the bios... my bios support cd boot... when i press power on ...
    > the server scan all pci/eisa bus etc... and then they detect a boottable
    > cd-rom found....
    >
    > then i got this error:
    >
    > isolinux: found something at drive 80h isolinux: found something at
    > drive 81h isolinux: found something at drive 82h No Cd-Rom Device found,
    > boot failed.
    >
    > i also tryed booting whit a boot disk.... boot failed. i also tryed to
    > boot whitout any hdds on the server and im getting this error;
    >
    > isolinux: found something at drive 80h No Cd-Rom Device found, boot
    > failed.
    >
    > :\
    >
    > i have no idea what to do now...

    It could be the BIOS or the firmware for the Adaptec AIC-7850 is in
    fact the problem, no support the El Torito specification (No emulation),
    like the Windows 2000/XP or Red Hat Linux 9 CD's are. The only CD boot
    support is for the floppy emulation booting like the Windows 95/8 CD's are
    (firmware v1.13) and maybe the harddisk emulation (firmware v1.16) like
    the OS/2 Warp CD's are.

    It could be the firmware of the CD-ROM drive also, early versions of
    CD-ROM's did not support the El Torito specification only the floppy
    and maybe the harddrive emulation specifications.

    Have you tried this;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...EPS-MAKE-DISKS

    You might have to also create the driver floppy from the drvblock.img also
    found on the first Red Hat Linux 9 installation CD, just follow the same
    directions as above and make the appropriate change. You can also try
    booting the system with a DOS boot disk and use the autoboot.bat file
    found in the dosutils directory on the first Red Hat Linux 9 CD.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

+ Reply to Thread