Upgrade to RHE3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Upgrade to RHE3 - Redhat ; Hello, I have a 10 node linux cluster currently running RH7.3. I would like to upgrade one of the nodes as a test to RHE3WS. Here is my problem. The node machines are blade 4u type chassis with no floppy ...

  1. Upgrade to RHE3

    Hello,

    I have a 10 node linux cluster currently running RH7.3. I would like
    to upgrade one of the nodes as a test to RHE3WS.
    Here is my problem. The node machines are blade 4u type chassis with
    no floppy or CDrom. There are 2 USB ports but I the bios does not
    support booting from USB.
    I am unable to run the autorun from the cd (via NFS) as 7.3 does not
    have "redhat-cdinstall-helper".

    I suppose kickstart is one option, but there must be a way I can the
    install going.

    Any comments greatfully accepted.

  2. Re: Upgrade to RHE3

    smiggs69 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a 10 node linux cluster currently running RH7.3. I would like
    > to upgrade one of the nodes as a test to RHE3WS.
    > Here is my problem. The node machines are blade 4u type chassis with
    > no floppy or CDrom. There are 2 USB ports but I the bios does not
    > support booting from USB.

    So, tell us. How did you install RH 7.3 on these units? Why is this approach
    not acceptable now?

    > I am unable to run the autorun from the cd (via NFS) as 7.3 does not
    > have "redhat-cdinstall-helper".
    >
    > I suppose kickstart is one option, but there must be a way I can the
    > install going.

    There must have been a way when you installed RH 7.3.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  3. Re: Upgrade to RHE3

    Paul Lutus wrote in message news:<10moej85v65dn75@corp.supernews.com>...
    > smiggs69 wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a 10 node linux cluster currently running RH7.3. I would like
    > > to upgrade one of the nodes as a test to RHE3WS.
    > > Here is my problem. The node machines are blade 4u type chassis with
    > > no floppy or CDrom. There are 2 USB ports but I the bios does not
    > > support booting from USB.

    > So, tell us. How did you install RH 7.3 on these units? Why is this approach
    > not acceptable now?
    >
    > > I am unable to run the autorun from the cd (via NFS) as 7.3 does not
    > > have "redhat-cdinstall-helper".
    > >
    > > I suppose kickstart is one option, but there must be a way I can the
    > > install going.

    > There must have been a way when you installed RH 7.3.

    The cluster was preconfigured from a third party vendor, who are now no longer.

  4. Re: Upgrade to RHE3

    smiggs69 wrote:

    > Paul Lutus wrote in message
    >> smiggs69 wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I have a 10 node linux cluster currently running RH7.3. I would like
    >> > to upgrade one of the nodes as a test to RHE3WS.
    >> > Here is my problem. The node machines are blade 4u type chassis with
    >> > no floppy or CDrom. There are 2 USB ports but I the bios does not
    >> > support booting from USB.

    >> So, tell us. How did you install RH 7.3 on these units? Why is this
    >> approach not acceptable now?
    >>
    >> > I am unable to run the autorun from the cd (via NFS) as 7.3 does not
    >> > have "redhat-cdinstall-helper".
    >> >
    >> > I suppose kickstart is one option, but there must be a way I can the
    >> > install going.

    >> There must have been a way when you installed RH 7.3.

    > The cluster was preconfigured from a third party vendor, who are now no
    > longer.

    Okay, how about this:

    1. Remove one of the processor cards, remove its drive, put the drive
    temporarily into a machine that can read installation sources, install a
    generic version of any suitable Linux distribution.

    2. Remount the drive, remount the processor card, configure the linux
    distribution appropriately to the needs of the card and its role.

    3. Clone the drive to all the rest of the processor cards.

    This is likely to have been how the original vendor did it.

    BTW once the machines have been moved to a current distribution, in the
    future you can upgrade using a network install, so this specific problem
    doesn't need to come up again.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com