Install Red Hat 6.1 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Install Red Hat 6.1 - Redhat ; I have a MMX 200 SCSI P.C. and I am trying to install Red Hat 6.1. The P.C. has two 4 gig SCSI drives. The first one has NT 4.0 on it. The 2nd is not formatted and is also ...

  1. Install Red Hat 6.1

    I have a MMX 200 SCSI P.C. and I am trying to install Red Hat 6.1. The
    P.C. has two 4 gig SCSI drives. The first one has NT 4.0 on it. The
    2nd is not formatted and is also 4 gig.

    When I try and add partitions it lets me add partitions like /boot and
    /home, etc. but the button never becomes active.

    I manually created a /swap with 128 MB as there seems to be no provision
    to click on a swap mount point. ALl the other mount points seem to be
    there.
    Of course ctl-alt-del does not work to get out of menu. There is no
    error messages either saying that I am missing a partition or it needs "x".
    Puzzled,
    Hal a.k.a Peter

  2. Re: Install Red Hat 6.1

    Hal wrote:

    > I have a MMX 200 SCSI P.C. and I am trying to install Red Hat 6.1. The
    > P.C. has two 4 gig SCSI drives. The first one has NT 4.0 on it. The
    > 2nd is not formatted and is also 4 gig.
    >
    > When I try and add partitions it lets me add partitions like /boot and
    > /home, etc. but the button never becomes active.

    Maybe it is waiting for you to define a root, e.g. "/", partition. BTW you
    don't need to create a bunch of partitions in a small, single-user
    installation. They can create more problems than benefits.

    Or maybe it is waiting for you to commit your changes. It has been a long
    time since I installed RH 6.1, but I seem to remember you have to commit
    your configuration to the drive before proceeding.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  3. Re: Install Red Hat 6.1

    Paul,
    I switched to text install and that worked better and yes having a bunch
    of small partitions did not work. The install crashed. Gotta do some
    other stuff so will tackle it again next week. I had a "/" partition.
    I think the GUI install just does not work. ANd you maybe are right -
    there is an okay button that probably has to be clicked to go to the
    next step. Ain't computers wonderful along with the instructions.
    Thanks,
    Hal a.ka. Peter

    Paul Lutus wrote:
    > Hal wrote:
    >

    >>I have a MMX 200 SCSI P.C. and I am trying to install Red Hat 6.1. The
    >>P.C. has two 4 gig SCSI drives. The first one has NT 4.0 on it. The
    >>2nd is not formatted and is also 4 gig.
    >>
    >>When I try and add partitions it lets me add partitions like /boot and
    >>/home, etc. but the button never becomes active.

    > Maybe it is waiting for you to define a root, e.g. "/", partition. BTW you
    > don't need to create a bunch of partitions in a small, single-user
    > installation. They can create more problems than benefits.
    >
    > Or maybe it is waiting for you to commit your changes. It has been a long
    > time since I installed RH 6.1, but I seem to remember you have to commit
    > your configuration to the drive before proceeding.

+ Reply to Thread