Dual Boot - Last Step? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Dual Boot - Last Step? - Redhat ; I have DOS 6.22 installed on the first partition of drive A. I have Windows XP Pro installed on the second partition of drive A. Then I installed Fedora Core 2 on the fourth partition of drive A. All partitions ...

  1. Dual Boot - Last Step?

    I have DOS 6.22 installed on the first partition of drive A.
    I have Windows XP Pro installed on the second partition of drive A.

    Then I installed Fedora Core 2 on the fourth partition of drive A.

    All partitions are marked as primary partitions with the first one
    (containing DOS) marked as active.

    When I installed Fedora Core 2 (FC 2) the first time, it wrote the GRUB boot
    manager to my master boot record. Since my wife also uses the computer and
    did not like the GRUB boot manager but did like the XP boot manager, I
    reinstalled XP to get the boot manager and master boot record restored.
    Then I re-installed FC 2 in the Linux partition already created and directed
    the GRUB boot manager to be installed at that location (which shows as
    /dev/hda5) also during the install process.

    I AM BRAND NEW TO LINUX, and I have no idea how to boot into FC 2 that is
    installed on the system. I put in the install CD, boot in a rescue mode
    (F5) but have no idea what to type next to get to the GUI screen or load FC
    2 from the command prompt present.

    My goal is to somehow direct the Windows XP boot manager to find and load FC
    2 when directed to do so. Any help would be appreciated. What do I type on
    the command line? What do I have to do to get XP boot manager to load
    Linux?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Dual Boot - Last Step?

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:30:35 -0500, Dave wrote:

    > I have DOS 6.22 installed on the first partition of drive A. I have
    > Windows XP Pro installed on the second partition of drive A.
    >
    > Then I installed Fedora Core 2 on the fourth partition of drive A.
    >
    > All partitions are marked as primary partitions with the first one
    > (containing DOS) marked as active.
    >
    > When I installed Fedora Core 2 (FC 2) the first time, it wrote the GRUB
    > boot manager to my master boot record. Since my wife also uses the
    > computer and did not like the GRUB boot manager but did like the XP boot
    > manager, I reinstalled XP to get the boot manager and master boot record
    > restored. Then I re-installed FC 2 in the Linux partition already
    > created and directed the GRUB boot manager to be installed at that
    > location (which shows as /dev/hda5) also during the install process.

    You did not need to re-install Linux to change the location of the grub
    bootloader. All you needed to do is boot into 'linux rescue' mode and use
    chroot then issue; grub-install --recheck /dev/hda5

    > I AM BRAND NEW TO LINUX, and I have no idea how to boot into FC 2 that
    > is installed on the system. I put in the install CD, boot in a rescue
    > mode (F5) but have no idea what to type next to get to the GUI screen or
    > load FC 2 from the command prompt present.

    Take the time and read the screens as they are displayed, the last few
    will tell you about mounting your Linux partitions and how to use the
    'chroot' command, follow these directions.

    > My goal is to somehow direct the Windows XP boot manager to find and
    > load FC 2 when directed to do so. Any help would be appreciated. What
    > do I type on the command line? What do I have to do to get XP boot
    > manager to load Linux?

    Your going to need a floppy disk or something like explore2fs to transfer
    a copy of the bootsector to your Windows XP (C:\) location. Follow the
    directions found here;

    http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html

    In your case the dd command would be something like;

    dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

    Explore2fs home page;
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    EXT2 IFS for Windows NT/2K/XP (This is what you might want to get);
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

+ Reply to Thread