Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB ) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB ) - Redhat ; Hi, Here is the scenario. I have redhat linux 9.0 installed on my external usb 2 hard drive ( maxtor 300 LE ) and I am able to boot linux from this hard drive and use it. This works perfectly ...

  1. Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

    Hi,
    Here is the scenario. I have redhat linux 9.0 installed on my
    external usb 2 hard drive ( maxtor 300 LE ) and I am able to boot
    linux from this hard drive and use it. This works perfectly fine. Now,
    I need to overwrite my existing linux partition with Redhat EL 3.0
    because it is mandated in my institution. Hence, I tried to install(
    reinstall ) linux on the external hard drive thru the following steps

    1) Boot the PC from Linux install CD-ROM
    2) install starts and detects my keyboard, mouse etc. also loads
    drivers for usb storage device
    3) It throws up a screen listing the drives where I can install linux.
    Here, I am unable to see my external hard drive. I remember that it
    will be shown with the label sda. but I am able to see only my
    internal IDE hard disk ( hda ) and not the external hard drive ( sda
    ).
    Due to the problem mentioned in step 3, I am unable to install
    redhat EL 3 on my external hard drive. any solutions will be most
    welcome.

    Thanks,
    Karthik

  2. Re: Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

    Boot off of the installation CD/DVD. At the prompt, type, "linux expert".
    This will load the necessary USB drivers and off you go....

    karthik_grad_2004@yahoo.com (Karthik) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    > Here is the scenario. I have redhat linux 9.0 installed on my
    > external usb 2 hard drive ( maxtor 300 LE ) and I am able to boot
    > linux from this hard drive and use it. This works perfectly fine. Now,
    > I need to overwrite my existing linux partition with Redhat EL 3.0
    > because it is mandated in my institution. Hence, I tried to install(
    > reinstall ) linux on the external hard drive thru the following steps
    >
    > 1) Boot the PC from Linux install CD-ROM
    > 2) install starts and detects my keyboard, mouse etc. also loads
    > drivers for usb storage device
    > 3) It throws up a screen listing the drives where I can install linux.
    > Here, I am unable to see my external hard drive. I remember that it
    > will be shown with the label sda. but I am able to see only my
    > internal IDE hard disk ( hda ) and not the external hard drive ( sda
    > ).
    > Due to the problem mentioned in step 3, I am unable to install
    > redhat EL 3 on my external hard drive. any solutions will be most
    > welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Karthik

+ Reply to Thread