How to add a HD to existing system ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to add a HD to existing system ? - Redhat ; Folks,, I am new to the installation part of RH 9.0. I have this HD with RH 7.0, and I wish to add that to my RH 9.0 system. I have set the jumper to slave drive and attached it ...

  1. How to add a HD to existing system ?

    Folks,, I am new to the installation part of RH 9.0. I have this HD
    with RH 7.0, and I wish to add that to my RH 9.0 system. I have set the
    jumper to slave drive and attached it with secondary slave drive. Since
    both of the drives have valid RH OS on it. The system panics and does
    not boot at all. Where I would really like the system to boot in RH 9.0
    and use a lot of my work from old HD.

    Any idea how to tell the system I have a slave drive ???

    Regards,

    altaf

  2. Re: How to add a HD to existing system ?

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:06:26 -0400, Altaf wrote:
    > Folks,, I am new to the installation part of RH 9.0. I have this HD
    > with RH 7.0, and I wish to add that to my RH 9.0 system. I have set the
    > jumper to slave drive and attached it with secondary slave drive. Since
    > both of the drives have valid RH OS on it. The system panics and does
    > not boot at all. Where I would really like the system to boot in RH 9.0
    > and use a lot of my work from old HD.
    >
    > Any idea how to tell the system I have a slave drive ???

    I am assuming the drives are strapped correctly, and you made sure the bios
    was able to find the drives.

    I am guessing what is happening is the boot loader is finding two
    labels for /. You could try booting with the rescue cd and changing
    the label on the slave drive Example:
    e2label /dev/hdbX /rh70
    you have to solve for X

  3. Re: How to add a HD to existing system ?

    Altaf wrote:

    > Folks,, I am new to the installation part of RH 9.0. I have this HD
    > with RH 7.0, and I wish to add that to my RH 9.0 system. I have set the
    > jumper to slave drive and attached it with secondary slave drive. Since
    > both of the drives have valid RH OS on it. The system panics and does
    > not boot at all. Where I would really like the system to boot in RH 9.0
    > and use a lot of my work from old HD.
    >
    > Any idea how to tell the system I have a slave drive ???

    I have found that using partition labels, rather than the /dev/hd... etc.,
    tends to confuse Red Hat. Change your fstab entries to physical partitons,
    instead of labels.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  4. Re: How to add a HD to existing system ?

    James,

    thank you for sending the solution,, i believe this should work,,,
    my fstab files looks something like this..
    obviously, this is using labels,, i have to do some reading regarding
    changing labels to physical drives...
    unless ,, you happend to know something right off of your mind...

    altaf
    ##LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

    James Knott wrote:
    > Altaf wrote:
    >

    >>Folks,, I am new to the installation part of RH 9.0. I have this HD
    >>with RH 7.0, and I wish to add that to my RH 9.0 system. I have set the
    >>jumper to slave drive and attached it with secondary slave drive. Since
    >>both of the drives have valid RH OS on it. The system panics and does
    >>not boot at all. Where I would really like the system to boot in RH 9.0
    >>and use a lot of my work from old HD.
    >>
    >>Any idea how to tell the system I have a slave drive ???
    >>

    > I have found that using partition labels, rather than the /dev/hd... etc.,
    > tends to confuse Red Hat. Change your fstab entries to physical partitons,
    > instead of labels.

+ Reply to Thread