Catch 22 - Dual Boot help - Redhat

This is a discussion on Catch 22 - Dual Boot help - Redhat ; I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1 along with win2k). I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm working on the dual boot part. The instructions ( http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html ) tell ...

  1. Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1 along
    with win2k).

    I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm working
    on the dual boot part.
    The instructions (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html )
    tell me to copy my linux boot partition to a floppy (or a Fat partition
    which I don't have)

    Sounds easy enough but the only way I can get to my Linux installation is by
    booting from a CD and if I have CD installed, I don't have the Floppy
    installed and I can't have both. THerefore, no way to copy the boot
    partition to a floppy. (BTW, I'm trying to use GRUB as my bootloader).

    As an alternative, I went hunting for a Red Hat floppy image. Figure I could
    boot from floppy then swap floppies to do the copy. Problem is that the
    only image I found is an "Install" image
    (http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...edia.html#bwin) and it
    seems to only let me do an installation and I can't "get to" a user prompt.

    Can someone help?

    Thanks
    Mark

  2. Re: Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    Your best option is to set up grub to boot both linux and windows. Then you
    won't need a boot floppy.

    If your CD drive can write, you also have the option of creating a boot CD
    instead of a boot floppy.

    "Mark Durrenberger" wrote in message
    > I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1 along
    > with win2k).
    >
    > I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm

    working
    > on the dual boot part.
    > The instructions

    (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html )
    > tell me to copy my linux boot partition to a floppy (or a Fat partition
    > which I don't have)
    >
    > Sounds easy enough but the only way I can get to my Linux installation is

    by
    > booting from a CD and if I have CD installed, I don't have the Floppy
    > installed and I can't have both. THerefore, no way to copy the boot
    > partition to a floppy. (BTW, I'm trying to use GRUB as my bootloader).
    >
    > As an alternative, I went hunting for a Red Hat floppy image. Figure I

    could
    > boot from floppy then swap floppies to do the copy. Problem is that the
    > only image I found is an "Install" image
    > (http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...edia.html#bwin) and it
    > seems to only let me do an installation and I can't "get to" a user

    prompt.

    > Can someone help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

  3. Re: Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:46:29 -0500, Mark Durrenberger wrote:

    > I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1
    > along with win2k).
    >
    > I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm
    > working on the dual boot part.
    > The instructions
    > (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html ) tell me to
    > copy my linux boot partition to a floppy (or a Fat partition which I
    > don't have)
    >
    > Sounds easy enough but the only way I can get to my Linux installation
    > is by booting from a CD and if I have CD installed, I don't have the
    > Floppy installed and I can't have both. THerefore, no way to copy the
    > boot partition to a floppy. (BTW, I'm trying to use GRUB as my
    > bootloader).
    >
    > As an alternative, I went hunting for a Red Hat floppy image. Figure I
    > could boot from floppy then swap floppies to do the copy. Problem is
    > that the only image I found is an "Install" image
    > (http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...edia.html#bwin) and it
    > seems to only let me do an installation and I can't "get to" a user
    > prompt.
    >
    > Can someone help?

    Create the linux.bin as per the directions from the URL you provided.

    Download , install and use explore2fs;
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    to copy the linux.bin file from your Linux partition to your Windows
    partition.

    No Catch 22

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  4. Re: Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    "Mark Durrenberger" wrote in message
    > I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1 along
    > with win2k).
    >
    > I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm

    working
    > on the dual boot part.
    > The instructions

    (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html )
    > tell me to copy my linux boot partition to a floppy (or a Fat partition
    > which I don't have)
    >
    > Sounds easy enough but the only way I can get to my Linux installation is

    by
    > booting from a CD and if I have CD installed, I don't have the Floppy
    > installed and I can't have both. THerefore, no way to copy the boot
    > partition to a floppy. (BTW, I'm trying to use GRUB as my bootloader).
    >
    > As an alternative, I went hunting for a Red Hat floppy image. Figure I

    could
    > boot from floppy then swap floppies to do the copy. Problem is that the
    > only image I found is an "Install" image
    > (http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...edia.html#bwin) and it
    > seems to only let me do an installation and I can't "get to" a user

    prompt.

    What your really should have done was partitioned the HDD , using the DOS
    fdisk utility, installed Win2K first and then installed Fedora last because
    Windows likes to have only one MBR on the HDD.

    Installing Windows first means that Fedora can write to the Win2K MBR and
    set up Grub so that you don't have to use a boot disk every time you want to
    boot to Fedora.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  5. Re: Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    A little late for this. :-(

    M.

    Mark Durrenberger, PMP
    Principal, Oak Associates, Inc, www.oakinc.com
    "Advancing the Theory and Practice of Project Management"

    The nicest thing about NOT planning is that failure
    comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by
    a period of worry and depression.

    - Sir John Harvey-Jones
    "Sandgroper" wrote in message
    news:40700a96$0$16574$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net. au...

    > "Mark Durrenberger" wrote in message
    > > I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1

    along
    > > with win2k).
    > >
    > > I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm

    > working
    > > on the dual boot part.
    > > The instructions

    > (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html )
    > > tell me to copy my linux boot partition to a floppy (or a Fat partition
    > > which I don't have)
    > >
    > > Sounds easy enough but the only way I can get to my Linux installation

    is
    > by
    > > booting from a CD and if I have CD installed, I don't have the Floppy
    > > installed and I can't have both. THerefore, no way to copy the boot
    > > partition to a floppy. (BTW, I'm trying to use GRUB as my bootloader).
    > >
    > > As an alternative, I went hunting for a Red Hat floppy image. Figure I

    > could
    > > boot from floppy then swap floppies to do the copy. Problem is that the
    > > only image I found is an "Install" image
    > > (http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...edia.html#bwin) and it
    > > seems to only let me do an installation and I can't "get to" a user

    > prompt.
    >
    > What your really should have done was partitioned the HDD , using the DOS
    > fdisk utility, installed Win2K first and then installed Fedora last

    because
    > Windows likes to have only one MBR on the HDD.
    >
    > Installing Windows first means that Fedora can write to the Win2K MBR and
    > set up Grub so that you don't have to use a boot disk every time you want

    > boot to Fedora.
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  6. Re: Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    Thanks. just the tool I was looking for.

    Seems you understood my question perfectly perhaps better than I did :-)

    Mark

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.04.04.01.34.48.4775@127.0.0.1...
    > On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:46:29 -0500, Mark Durrenberger wrote:
    >
    > > I've a Dell laptop I'm trying to setup as a dual boot (Fedora Core 1
    > > along with win2k).
    > >
    > > I've successfully partitioned my drive and installed Fedora now I'm
    > > working on the dual boot part.
    > > The instructions
    > > (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html ) tell me to
    > > copy my linux boot partition to a floppy (or a Fat partition which I
    > > don't have)
    > >
    > > Sounds easy enough but the only way I can get to my Linux installation
    > > is by booting from a CD and if I have CD installed, I don't have the
    > > Floppy installed and I can't have both. THerefore, no way to copy the
    > > boot partition to a floppy. (BTW, I'm trying to use GRUB as my
    > > bootloader).
    > >
    > > As an alternative, I went hunting for a Red Hat floppy image. Figure I
    > > could boot from floppy then swap floppies to do the copy. Problem is
    > > that the only image I found is an "Install" image
    > > (http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...edia.html#bwin) and it
    > > seems to only let me do an installation and I can't "get to" a user
    > > prompt.
    > >
    > > Can someone help?

    > Create the linux.bin as per the directions from the URL you provided.
    >
    > Download , install and use explore2fs;
    > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
    >
    > to copy the linux.bin file from your Linux partition to your Windows
    > partition.
    >
    > No Catch 22
    >

    > --
    > Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    > Copyright remains with the author

  7. Re: Catch 22 - Dual Boot help

    > A little late for this. :-(

    Keep it in mind for the next time you create a dual boot system.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au