Re: 20 basic Linux newbie commands to identify the system - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: 20 basic Linux newbie commands to identify the system - Redhat ; Michael Heiming wrote in message news: ... > What about hyper-threading? I don't know anything about hyperthreading. How do I tell if my command above told me the machine under test is merely 4 times hyperthreaded or if the machine ...

  1. Re: 20 basic Linux newbie commands to identify the system

    Michael Heiming wrote in message news:...
    > What about hyper-threading?

    I don't know anything about hyperthreading.

    How do I tell if my command above told me the machine under test is
    merely 4 times hyperthreaded or if the machine actually has 4 CPUs?

    Ellen

  2. Re: 20 basic Linux newbie commands to identify the system

    In article , \
    John Gianni wrote:

    > I don't know anything about hyperthreading.
    >
    > How do I tell if my command above told me the machine under test is
    > merely 4 times hyperthreaded or if the machine actually has 4 CPUs?

    The original Pentium 4 microarchitecture was restricted to a
    maximum hyperthreading degree of two. I suspect it's very
    unlikely later implementations would go to four. So, the
    question would be whether it means you have two physical
    processors with two threads each vs. four physical
    processors with one thread each.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: 20 basic Linux newbie commands to identify the system

+ Reply to Thread