Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3 - Redhat ; Hi: I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96 Why? We have three apps that ran in that environment - two were upgraded to fedora/gcc 4; we want to modify the other which has ...

  1. Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    Hi:
    I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96
    Why? We have three apps that ran in that environment - two were
    upgraded to
    fedora/gcc 4; we want to modify the other which has been dormant,
    stored in a
    hard disk. It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of
    the newer
    computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.
    Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    On 14 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    <1176586120.261886.160280@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, CCDSJ wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96

    7.3 wasn't _that_ special. Just happen to have an RH 7.3 box handy...
    *Minimum* specs are:
    CPU: Pentium CPU (200-MHz for text mode - yow!, 400-MHz for GUI);
    RAM: 32 Mb for text-mode, 128 Mb for GUI
    HD: 650 Mb (everything = 3.7 Gigs, w/s with Gnome & KDE 1.8 Gigs)

    >It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of the newer
    >computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.

    The only thing I can think of as a restriction would be the video
    card, but I don't have a list of supported ones. I suppose there
    could also be a USB keyboard/mouse or something, but that's a
    stretch.

    > Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?

    Trinidad and Tobago - yeah, you might gonna have a problem there.

    If you're doing software development on the box, you don't _need_ a
    super fancy video system, so I'd suggest trying to install a (used
    if need be) generic video card in what-ever you have and try that.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    CCDSJ wrote:
    > Hi:
    > I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96
    > Why? We have three apps that ran in that environment - two were
    > upgraded to
    > fedora/gcc 4; we want to modify the other which has been dormant,
    > stored in a
    > hard disk. It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of
    > the newer
    > computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.
    > Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?

    Most any computer store that deals in used computers? I have two retired ones
    here that have run 7.3. Doesn't anyone in your company have an old one in the
    closet? Don't you?

    --
    If the US recognizes the right of Jews to Palestine how can it deny Utah to
    the Latter Day Saints?

  4. Re: Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 14 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    > <1176586120.261886.160280@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>, CCDSJ wrote:
    >

    >> I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96

    > 7.3 wasn't _that_ special. Just happen to have an RH 7.3 box handy...
    > *Minimum* specs are:
    > CPU: Pentium CPU (200-MHz for text mode - yow!, 400-MHz for GUI);
    > RAM: 32 Mb for text-mode, 128 Mb for GUI
    > HD: 650 Mb (everything = 3.7 Gigs, w/s with Gnome & KDE 1.8 Gigs)
    >

    >>It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of the newer
    >>computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.

    > The only thing I can think of as a restriction would be the video
    > card, but I don't have a list of supported ones. I suppose there
    > could also be a USB keyboard/mouse or something, but that's a
    > stretch.
    >

    >> Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?

    > Trinidad and Tobago - yeah, you might gonna have a problem there.
    >
    > If you're doing software development on the box, you don't _need_ a
    > super fancy video system, so I'd suggest trying to install a (used
    > if need be) generic video card in what-ever you have and try that.
    >
    > Old guy

    Old guy,

    Disk controllers like SATA or SAS will not work either.

    Last week we had a lot of trouble even with RHEL 3 and an IBM ServeRAID
    8i. Took a day for IBM support to find out what needed to be done for
    that an USB floppy with the driver disk could be loaded.

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  5. Re: Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    CCDSJ wrote:
    > Hi:
    > I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96
    > Why? We have three apps that ran in that environment - two were
    > upgraded to
    > fedora/gcc 4; we want to modify the other which has been dormant,
    > stored in a
    > hard disk. It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of
    > the newer
    > computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.
    > Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?
    >
    > Thanks

    CCDSJ,

    Have you tried eBay?

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  6. Re: Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:28:40 -0700, CCDSJ wrote:

    > Hi:
    > I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96 Why? We
    > have three apps that ran in that environment - two were
    > upgraded to
    > fedora/gcc 4; we want to modify the other which has been dormant, stored
    > in a
    > hard disk. It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of
    > the newer
    > computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.
    > Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?
    >
    > Thanks

    Any PIII machine will be able to run it.

  7. Re: Fwd:Looking for a computer with RH Linux 7.3

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:28:40 -0700, CCDSJ wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a computer with RH Linux 7.3 and gcc 2.96
    > Why? We have three apps that ran in that environment - two were
    > upgraded to
    > fedora/gcc 4; we want to modify the other which has been dormant,
    > stored in a
    > hard disk. It appears as if RH linux 7.3 can't be installed in any of
    > the newer
    > computers. "Appears", because two techs have tried without success.
    > Anyone has such a computer? Knows where we can get one?

    Tried simply setting up a virtual machine? VMWare Player can be downloaded
    freely for most platforms. QEmu should also work.

+ Reply to Thread