Re: xinetd high cpu usage - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: xinetd high cpu usage - Redhat ; Tester wrote: > Hi there, > Does anyone have any idea why xinetd would take 98% on a Redhat 8, > with only sshd and sendmail installed on it.It is a PIII 800 Mhz, 10 > GB drive 128 MB ...

  1. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    Tester wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > Does anyone have any idea why xinetd would take 98% on a Redhat 8,
    > with only sshd and sendmail installed on it.It is a PIII 800 Mhz, 10
    > GB drive 128 MB memory.

    It should not do that. You say only. I presume you discovered this using top.
    Are you sure nothing else is running? Nothing else should do this either but
    Gnome or KDE might be corrupted.

    --
    If the Iraq war were WWII we would have paid for half of it already.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3748

  2. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    Tester wrote:
    > Should I uninstall/reinstall Gnome? Yes, I used top. I noticed it was
    > very sluggish, next I exited gnome and X server, set it to boot into
    > mode 3 without X and from command prompt/terminal window was the same.
    > Eventually will reinstall Linux.
    > Thanks a lot, Calin

    Hang on. Neither gnome nor KDE should do that either unless maybe you are
    struggling with 64M RAM. If that is the case, yes stick with text mode. You
    don't have to uninstall. Lets find the problem first. You might have a
    misbehaving gnome module or something. If you only have 64M get at least 256M. I
    have run the last major rev of KDE on 128 and would not recommend it. The
    problem is the time is being wasted on using the swap file.

    > n Apr 11, 8:46 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Tester wrote:
    >>> Hi there,

    >> It should not do that. You say only. I presume you discovered this using top.
    >> Are you sure nothing else is running? Nothing else should do this either but
    >> Gnome or KDE might be corrupted.

    --
    Hodie tertio Idus Apriles MMVII est
    -- The Ferric Webceasar

  3. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    Tester wrote:
    > Hi Matt,
    > I installed 256 MB of Ram, it went between 80 and 99% [xinetd] but
    > still sits at 99% most of the time with top command.
    > I post below the ssh file I created under xinetd directory:
    > #default: on
    > service ssh
    > {
    > disable = no
    > flags = REUSE
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > usr = root
    > server = /usr/sbin/in.sshd
    > server_args = -i
    > log_on_failure += USERID
    >
    > Thanks a lot, Calin
    >

    >> Hang on. Neither gnome nor KDE should do that either unless maybe you are
    >>struggling with 64M RAM. If that is the case, yes stick with text mode. You
    >>don't have to uninstall. Lets find the problem first. You might have a
    >>misbehaving gnome module or something. If you only have 64M get at least 256M. I
    >>have run the last major rev of KDE on 128 and would not recommend it. The
    >>problem is the time is being wasted on using the swap file.

    >>--
    >>Hodie tertio Idus Apriles MMVII est
    >> -- The Ferric Webceasar
    >>nizkorhttp://www.giwersworld.org/nizkook/nizkook.phtml
    >> environmentalismhttp://www.giwersworld.org/environment/aehb.phtmla9

    Calin,

    It is has been mentioned on some internet sites not to run sshd as a
    xinetd service, because it causes bad performance.

    One example:
    http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...tSecurity.html

    Beste regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra RHCE

  4. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    On 2007-04-12, Tester wrote:
    > Should I uninstall/reinstall Gnome? Yes, I used top. I noticed it was
    > very sluggish, next I exited gnome and X server, set it to boot into
    > mode 3 without X and from command prompt/terminal window was the same.

    Restart xinetd to see if that fixes it. E.g.:

    #service xinetd restart

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    Tester wrote:
    > Hi Matt,
    > I installed 256 MB of Ram, it went between 80 and 99% [xinetd] but
    > still sits at 99% most of the time with top command.
    > I post below the ssh file I created under xinetd directory:
    > #default: on
    > service ssh
    > {
    > disable = no
    > flags = REUSE
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > usr = root
    > server = /usr/sbin/in.sshd
    > server_args = -i
    > log_on_failure += USERID

    OK there is nothing obvious. We need to stimulate it to do something to get
    more information. Some else here suggests a restart. Try that and see what
    happens and post any screen messages.

    Next thing I would do would be to stress it to see if you are being harmed by
    what top reports. I would try starting gimp. If doesn't come up in a minute we
    know for certain it is really running that slow. You might have to reboot. Next
    open a simple x-windows terminal and see how long that takes to come up.

    If you find you are not being harmed by it, it becomes a curiosity rather than
    a problem.

    --
    If Americans knew about Israel's treatment of non-Jews they would turn
    against Israel as fast as they did against apartheid South Africa.

  6. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    In news:461ef0fa$0$27111$4c368faf@roadrunner.com,
    Matt Giwer wrote:

    >> I installed 256 MB of Ram, it went between 80 and 99% [xinetd] but
    >> still sits at 99% most of the time with top command.

    > We need to stimulate it to do something to get more information.

    My suggestion:

    # /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
    # strace -o /tmp/output /etc/init.d/xinetd start

    Let it run for a bit until the top output shows high CPU% again, then:

    # /etc/init.d/xinetd restart

    and then carefully examine the /tmp/output file for some clues.

  7. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    ynotssor wrote:
    > In news:461ef0fa$0$27111$4c368faf@roadrunner.com,
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >>> I installed 256 MB of Ram, it went between 80 and 99% [xinetd] but
    >>> still sits at 99% most of the time with top command.

    >> We need to stimulate it to do something to get more information.

    > My suggestion:
    >
    > # /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
    > # strace -o /tmp/output /etc/init.d/xinetd start
    >
    > Let it run for a bit until the top output shows high CPU% again, then:
    >
    > # /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
    >
    > and then carefully examine the /tmp/output file for some clues.

    Address these things to the man asking the question. No guarantee he reads
    everything. I'm more of a torture it until it confesses type of trouble shooter.
    I tend to torture computers in normal use.

    --
    Tony Blair says the war on the Taliban will take decades. That is the same
    as saying the war on Southern Baptists will take decades. Or perhaps in the

  8. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    In news:461f1574$0$27015$4c368faf@roadrunner.com,
    Matt Giwer wrote:

    > Address these things to the man asking the question.

    I'll address them wherever I wish. Feel free to ignore them.

  9. Re: xinetd high cpu usage

    Tester wrote:
    > Hi Matt,
    > I deleted ssh file from xinetd.d directory
    > I configured sshd to start as separate daemon by configuring
    > ssh_config and sshd_config as per link you gave me and now CPU
    > utilizatuion is very small, the ssh was the culprit.
    > Thanks a lot for all your help, Calin

    I quick look at my rc5.d file for sshd shows nothing that might have caused it
    to run without doing anything. Of course I would not expect to find anything in
    a quick look without it have a comment "don't ever do this".

    But if problem is solved that is all that matters.

    --
    Palestine was wiped off the map and no one cared. Why would anyone care if
    Israel is wiped off the map?

+ Reply to Thread