digicam as live cam - Redhat

This is a discussion on digicam as live cam - Redhat ; I have a Centrios digital camera that RedHat recognizes just fine. Now I'm wondering - how I can use its "live cam" feature? What applications are there for monitoring whatever digital stream this camera (or any other) would generate?...

  1. digicam as live cam

    I have a Centrios digital camera that RedHat recognizes just fine. Now I'm
    wondering - how I can use its "live cam" feature? What applications are
    there for monitoring whatever digital stream this camera (or any other)
    would generate?

  2. Re: digicam as live cam

    Jerome wrote:
    > I have a Centrios digital camera that RedHat recognizes just fine. Now I'm
    > wondering - how I can use its "live cam" feature? What applications are
    > there for monitoring whatever digital stream this camera (or any other)
    > would generate?

    I have thought about that use for my camera and can find no way to make it
    work. Simply an image is only captured when the camera button is pressed. Movies
    are saved in AVI/Divx compress format so individual movie frames are not
    directly available.

    OTOH I have seen some very cheap cameras which do not claim a live cam function
    but not lately. But live cams can be had for $20 if you look around.
    tigerdirect.com for example. (I have no connection other than as a customer)

    --
    So far Iran has shown more willingness to help the US in Iraq than has
    Israel.

  3. Re: digicam as live cam

    Matt Giwer wrote:

    > Jerome wrote:
    >> I have a Centrios digital camera that RedHat recognizes just fine. Now
    >> I'm wondering - how I can use its "live cam" feature? What applications
    >> are there for monitoring whatever digital stream this camera (or any
    >> other) would generate?

    > I have thought about that use for my camera and can find no way to make it
    > work. Simply an image is only captured when the camera button is pressed.
    > Movies are saved in AVI/Divx compress format so individual movie frames
    > are not directly available.

    My camera does have a "cam" mode though, and Windows software to use it. I
    was wondering if there is some standard for this that some Linux app has
    handled.

  4. Re: digicam as live cam

    Jerome wrote:
    --
    American troops in Iraq have to know they are risking their lives for people
    who hate them.
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> Jerome wrote:
    >>> I have a Centrios digital camera that RedHat recognizes just fine. Now
    >>> I'm wondering - how I can use its "live cam" feature? What applications
    >>> are there for monitoring whatever digital stream this camera (or any
    >>> other) would generate?

    >> I have thought about that use for my camera and can find no way to make it
    >> work. Simply an image is only captured when the camera button is pressed.
    >> Movies are saved in AVI/Divx compress format so individual movie frames
    >> are not directly available.

    > My camera does have a "cam" mode though, and Windows software to use it. I
    > was wondering if there is some standard for this that some Linux app has
    > handled.

    Off hand I don't know. Don't have one to try. Have you simply tried plugging it
    in in the CAM mode and seeing what happens? Linux might recognize it for you.

  5. Re: digicam as live cam

    Jerome wrote:
    > I have a Centrios digital camera that RedHat recognizes just fine. Now I'm
    > wondering - how I can use its "live cam" feature? What applications are
    > there for monitoring whatever digital stream this camera (or any other)
    > would generate?

    If all else fails go to freshmeat.net and search for an application to do the job.

    --
    The failure option in Iraq was exercised in March 2003.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3744

+ Reply to Thread