IP address already in use? - Redhat

This is a discussion on IP address already in use? - Redhat ; Hi, On my network, I have static IP addresses assigned to my computers. All worked well, until I boot my laptop this morning and I get no connection to the network. Though "dmesg" shows that my nic is there, "ifconfig ...

  1. IP address already in use?

    Hi,

    On my network, I have static IP addresses assigned to my computers. All
    worked well, until I boot my laptop this morning and I get no connection
    to the network. Though "dmesg" shows that my nic is there, "ifconfig -a"
    shows that eth0 doesn't have the usual address. It seems it has some
    random address.
    When looking at the messages during boot, it gives a message that the IP
    address is already taken by another host. However, both nmap and
    ettercap show that's not the case. Only when I manually assign the usual
    IP address to the laptop, nmap and ettercap notice the IP address.

    Reviewing /var/log/message I read this at the lines of avahi-daemon:

    New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    Registering new address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    Withdrawing address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    iface.c: interface_mdns_mcast_join() called but no local address available.
    Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
    New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    Registering new address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.

    Also, when trying to access anything beyond the network, the webbrowser
    can't find it and when fetching email, I get the message "Connection
    refused".

    Can anyone tell me what's up? If this is not enough info, please let me
    know.

    Thanks,

    Huub

  2. Re: IP address already in use?

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On my network, I have static IP addresses assigned to my computers. All
    > worked well, until I boot my laptop this morning and I get no connection
    > to the network. Though "dmesg" shows that my nic is there, "ifconfig -a"
    > shows that eth0 doesn't have the usual address. It seems it has some
    > random address.
    > When looking at the messages during boot, it gives a message that the IP
    > address is already taken by another host. However, both nmap and
    > ettercap show that's not the case. Only when I manually assign the usual
    > IP address to the laptop, nmap and ettercap notice the IP address.
    >
    > Reviewing /var/log/message I read this at the lines of avahi-daemon:
    >
    > New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    > Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    > Registering new address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    > Withdrawing address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    > Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    > iface.c: interface_mdns_mcast_join() called but no local address available.
    > Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
    > New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    > Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    > Registering new address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    >
    > Also, when trying to access anything beyond the network, the webbrowser
    > can't find it and when fetching email, I get the message "Connection
    > refused".
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what's up? If this is not enough info, please let me
    > know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Huub

    Huub,

    Do you have other PC's or servers on your network? If so could you ping
    to 10.0.0.12 and see if you get a response?

    Do you have a DCHP server on your network that is allowed to assign
    10.0.0.12 to a network device?

    Sorry for the lot of questions, but the group members might need this
    info to help you.

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: IP address already in use?

    > Do you have other PC's or servers on your network? If so could you ping
    > to 10.0.0.12 and see if you get a response?
    >
    > Do you have a DCHP server on your network that is allowed to assign
    > 10.0.0.12 to a network device?
    >
    > Sorry for the lot of questions, but the group members might need this
    > info to help you.
    >

    > Best regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    I have other pc's and servers on the network, all with statically
    assigned IP's. When I ping for 10.0.0.12 before (currently manually)
    assigning it to the laptop, there's no response. After the assignment,
    there is response.
    I don't use a DHCP server.

  4. Re: IP address already in use?

    Am Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:40:58 +0200
    schrieb Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl">:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On my network, I have static IP addresses assigned to my computers.
    > All worked well, until I boot my laptop this morning and I get no
    > connection to the network. Though "dmesg" shows that my nic is there,
    > "ifconfig -a" shows that eth0 doesn't have the usual address. It
    > seems it has some random address.
    > When looking at the messages during boot, it gives a message that the
    > IP address is already taken by another host. [...]
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what's up? If this is not enough info, please let
    > me know.

    Do you use Fedora. The same happend to me today.
    The reason may be:
    audit(1176310837.850:4): avc: denied { search } for pid=2102
    comm="arping" name="/" dev=sysfs ino=1
    scontext=system_u:system_r:netutils_t:s0
    tcontext=system_ubject_r:sysfs_t:s0 tclass=dir

    The ifup-Script tryed to find out with arping if the IP-Adress is in
    use. But that wasn't possible due to the SELinux-Policy.
    The SELinux-policy-Update today made the message vanish :-)

    --
    Karl-Heinz

  5. Re: IP address already in use?

    > Do you use Fedora. The same happend to me today.
    > The reason may be:
    > audit(1176310837.850:4): avc: denied { search } for pid=2102
    > comm="arping" name="/" dev=sysfs ino=1
    > scontext=system_u:system_r:netutils_t:s0
    > tcontext=system_ubject_r:sysfs_t:s0 tclass=dir
    >
    > The ifup-Script tryed to find out with arping if the IP-Adress is in
    > use. But that wasn't possible due to the SELinux-Policy.
    > The SELinux-policy-Update today made the message vanish :-)

    Yes, using FC6, but the other FC6 machine has no problems at all. I've
    seen the audit message as well. I can't update at this time, since my
    laptop can't connect to the internet because of the problems. So what do
    you suggest me to do?

  6. Re: IP address already in use?

    Am Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:29:08 +0200
    schrieb Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl">:

    > > Do you use Fedora. The same happend to me today.
    > > The reason may be:
    > > audit(1176310837.850:4): avc: denied { search } for pid=2102
    > > comm="arping" name="/" dev=sysfs ino=1
    > > scontext=system_u:system_r:netutils_t:s0
    > > tcontext=system_ubject_r:sysfs_t:s0 tclass=dir
    > >
    > > The ifup-Script tryed to find out with arping if the IP-Adress is in
    > > use. But that wasn't possible due to the SELinux-Policy.
    > > The SELinux-policy-Update today made the message vanish :-)
    > >

    > Yes, using FC6, but the other FC6 machine has no problems at all.
    > I've seen the audit message as well. I can't update at this time,
    > since my laptop can't connect to the internet because of the
    > problems. So what do you suggest me to do?

    as root try 'ifup eth0' and then update your system.

    --
    Karl-Heinz

  7. Re: IP address already in use?

    > as root try 'ifup eth0' and then update your system.

    Well, see this....to get rid of my manually assigned IP, I reboot the
    laptop, log in and the connection is back: updates detected and
    installed. No idea what was wrong, but glad it's over (for now).

  8. Re: IP address already in use?

    Huub wrote:
    > On my network, I have static IP addresses assigned to my computers. All
    > worked well, until I boot my laptop this morning and I get no connection
    > to the network. Though "dmesg" shows that my nic is there, "ifconfig -a"
    > shows that eth0 doesn't have the usual address. It seems it has some
    > random address.
    > When looking at the messages during boot, it gives a message that the IP
    > address is already taken by another host. However, both nmap and
    > ettercap show that's not the case. Only when I manually assign the usual
    > IP address to the laptop, nmap and ettercap notice the IP address.

    > Reviewing /var/log/message I read this at the lines of avahi-daemon:

    > New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    > Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    > Registering new address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    > Withdrawing address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.
    > Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    > iface.c: interface_mdns_mcast_join() called but no local address available.
    > Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
    > New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    > Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.12.
    > Registering new address record for 10.0.0.12 on eth0.

    > Also, when trying to access anything beyond the network, the webbrowser
    > can't find it and when fetching email, I get the message "Connection
    > refused".

    > Can anyone tell me what's up? If this is not enough info, please let me
    > know.

    It sounds like you are saying you have a local router, correct?

    If so which other computer is it assigned to and have you tried using its IP?
    Are IPs just being shuffled?

    I can say that after months of FC6 working as expected RH6 starting pulling a
    different IP roughly every 24 hours although +/- 4 hrs so I could not come up
    with a good reason for it. I locked the router down to a max IPs was equal to
    the number of computers so if it tried to change the only available one was the
    same one.

    I don't see how this can help you but you do need to consider the router in the
    cause of the problem and finding a solution.

    I presume the sudden change of behavior was due to a yum update but never
    bothered to track down the cause.

    --
    What the English language needs most is a word that rhymes with orange.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3749

+ Reply to Thread