Purchasing RHEL 5 & Update support - Redhat

This is a discussion on Purchasing RHEL 5 & Update support - Redhat ; I was considering purchasing the $349 version of RHEL for my Sun X2100 M2 and have a couple of questions.... First question, since the system is dual core, does that count as a dual socket? I only ask, because I ...

  1. Purchasing RHEL 5 & Update support

    I was considering purchasing the $349 version of RHEL for my Sun X2100
    M2 and have a couple of questions....

    First question, since the system is dual core, does that count as a
    dual socket? I only ask, because I might also purchase a license for
    my X2200 M2, which is a dual dual-core proc box, and I'm not sure if
    the $349 RHEL linux would run on it, or if I would have to purchase
    the $1,499 unlimited socket version.

    Second question, if I purchase an official license, do I get access to
    the Redhat Network Update until they drop support for it, or is the
    support only valid for one year, and at that time I need to purchase
    on-going support to access the Redhat Network Update? If I have to
    purchase annualy, what are the costs invovled in that?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Purchasing RHEL 5 & Update support

    Xao wrote:
    > I was considering purchasing the $349 version of RHEL for my Sun X2100
    > M2 and have a couple of questions....
    >
    > First question, since the system is dual core, does that count as a
    > dual socket? I only ask, because I might also purchase a license for
    > my X2200 M2, which is a dual dual-core proc box, and I'm not sure if
    > the $349 RHEL linux would run on it, or if I would have to purchase
    > the $1,499 unlimited socket version.
    >
    > Second question, if I purchase an official license, do I get access to
    > the Redhat Network Update until they drop support for it, or is the
    > support only valid for one year, and at that time I need to purchase
    > on-going support to access the Redhat Network Update? If I have to
    > purchase annualy, what are the costs invovled in that?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Dear Xao,

    Red Hat counts physical sockets, so a dual core CPU takes only 1
    physical socket. Even a quad core CPU counts for 1 socket.

    So a Dual Quad core machine would still be valid to run the $349 RHEL 5
    Server.

    It supported for the period of payment, so each year or three year
    period you have to pay again to keep your right to update.

    The periodical payment is the same as the cost for new subscription,
    sometimes you can get a discount. The 3 year payment is a discount.

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit

+ Reply to Thread