send-only mail tool - Redhat

This is a discussion on send-only mail tool - Redhat ; I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP address (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron reports. Right now I have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a solution ...

  1. send-only mail tool

    I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP address
    (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron reports. Right now I
    have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a solution just for sending.
    Is there a tool that will act as a small send-only MTA? It would need to be
    a MTA so that the built-in mail command can work.

  2. Re: send-only mail tool

    In news:smdRh.33528$DE1.1898@pd7urf2no,
    Jerome wrote:

    > I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP
    > address (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron
    > reports. Right now I have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a
    > solution just for sending.

    Why do you think it "is too heavy"?

  3. Re: send-only mail tool

    Jerome wrote:
    > I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP address
    > (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron reports. Right now I
    > have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a solution just for sending.
    > Is there a tool that will act as a small send-only MTA? It would need to be
    > a MTA so that the built-in mail command can work.

    Why do you want email? I simply type ip to get the info. If that does not work
    for you let me know and I'll find where the date is in /etc/ A simple script can
    get the ip.

    --
    How is sending 22,000 troops to Iraq a better plan than sending 130,000
    troops to Iraq?

  4. Re: send-only mail tool

    Jerome wrote:
    > I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP address
    > (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron reports. Right now I
    > have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a solution just for sending.
    > Is there a tool that will act as a small send-only MTA? It would need to be
    > a MTA so that the built-in mail command can work.

    /bin/mail

    su -c "/sbin/ifconfig | /bin/mail -s ip_from_provider yourself@wherever"

    Have not tried it myself.

  5. Re: send-only mail tool

    ynotssor wrote:

    > In news:smdRh.33528$DE1.1898@pd7urf2no,
    > Jerome wrote:
    >
    >> I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP
    >> address (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron
    >> reports. Right now I have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a
    >> solution just for sending.

    > Why do you think it "is too heavy"?

    The machine has limited memory and only needs to send its IP address and a
    couple reports from cron a day - I don't need a full MTA for that.

    BTW, I found 2 tools: SSMTP, and EmailRelay, both of which I'm
    investigating.

  6. Re: send-only mail tool

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    , Jerome wrote:

    >I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP address
    >(from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron reports. Right now I
    >have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a solution just for sending.
    >Is there a tool that will act as a small send-only MTA? It would need to be
    >a MTA so that the built-in mail command can work.

    No indication of distribution or release. There are four common MTAs in
    use - exim, postfix qmail, and sendmail. 'qmail' is at best marginally
    supported, and rarely included in distributions. 'exim' was distributed as
    late as Fedora Core 3. 'postfix' and 'sendmail' are included in Fedora
    Core 6.

    [compton ~]$
    zgrep -E '(postfix|sendmail)' rpms.fc6-i386.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 3729758 Oct 6 00:22 postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 50387 Oct 6 00:18 postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 647710 Oct 6 00:33 sendmail-8.13.8-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 318934 Oct 6 00:35 sendmail-cf-8.13.8-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 130625 Oct 6 00:35 sendmail-devel-8.13.8-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 668746 Oct 6 00:25 sendmail-doc-8.13.8-2.i386.rpm
    [compton ~]$ zgrep exim rpms.fc2.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 4075381 May 9 2004 exim-4.33-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 3292036 May 9 2004 exim-doc-4.33-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 67338 May 9 2004 exim-mon-4.33-2.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 (?) (?) 44700 May 9 2004 exim-sa-4.33-2.i386.rpm
    [compton ~]$

    Surprizing, sendmail appears to be the smaller, although it's far from
    the most user friendly. Also, unless you've managed to do something
    fancy, _a_ Mail Transport Agent should be installed by default, to handle
    the normal system mail from things like cron and syslogd.

    I suppose if you wanted to reduce the size of the installed tool, you
    _could_ find and install netcat, and script up something to send mail.
    Netcat itself is quite small, and crude, and scripting may be a bear.

    Old guy

  7. Re: send-only mail tool

    In news:MGwRh.36472$6m4.11131@pd7urf1no,
    Jerome wrote:

    >>> I wish to have a machine e-mail me at boot time with the acquired IP
    >>> address (from an ISP's DHCP). The machine will also send cron
    >>> reports. Right now I have installed Postfix, but that is too heavy a
    >>> solution just for sending.

    >> Why do you think it "is too heavy"?

    > The machine has limited memory and only needs to send its IP address
    > and a couple reports from cron a day - I don't need a full MTA for
    > that.

    The MTA will be in swap most of the time then, and only paged in when
    needed. Really, it's not the problem you imagine it to be.

+ Reply to Thread