LVM partitioning problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on LVM partitioning problem - Redhat ; All, I have a IBM BladeServer and a IBM Storage SAN. The storage have assigned to my server 525GB of space. I go to the LVM Manager and I see the device there. I have initialized the device, created the ...

  1. LVM partitioning problem

    All,

    I have a IBM BladeServer and a IBM Storage SAN. The storage have
    assigned to my server 525GB of space. I go to the LVM Manager and I
    see the device there.

    I have initialized the device, created the Logical Volume and created
    the partitions on it as follows:

    data - 500GB - ext3 - /data
    apps - 25GB - ext3 - /apps

    I can see the partition mounted, up and running. When I reboot the
    machine and the OS tries to mount them I get the message:

    cannot mount /dev/VolGroup01/data - No such device

    Then I give the root password, removed from the fstab file and
    rebooted the machine again.

    After reboot I've tried something different:

    1 - Create a partition on the new drive

    # fdisk /dev/sdb1

    >From the partitioning menu's, create a new partition spanning the

    entire drive.

    Change the partitions system ID from its default to 8e (a Linux LV).

    Save and exit the fdisk utility by pressing w.

    2 - Create a physical volume on that partition:

    # pvcreate -v /dev/sdb1

    This prepares the new partition for logical volumes.

    3 - Create a volume group:

    # vgcreate VolGroup01 -v /dev/sdb1

    This creates VolGroup01 and adds my new partition to it.

    4 - Create the logical volumes:

    # lvcreate VolGroup01 -v -L 25G -n apps
    # lvcreate VolGroup01 -v -L 500G -n data

    5 - Format the logical volumes as I would do in any new partition:

    # mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/VolGroup01/apps
    # mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/VolGroup01/data

    6 - Create the mount points and mount the new partitions on it:

    # mkdir /apps
    # mkdir /data
    # mount /dev/VolGroup01/apps /apps
    # mount /dev/VolGroup01/data /data

    7 - Add the following entries to the /etc/fstab file:

    /dev/VolGroup01/apps /apps ext3 default 0 0
    /dev/VolGroup01/data /data ext3 default 0 0

    But still did not work....

    Does anybody have a clue of what is happening?

    Regards,

    Eduardo Ferrari

  2. Re: LVM partitioning problem

    Eduardo Ferrari wrote:

    > 7 - Add the following entries to the /etc/fstab file:
    >
    > /dev/VolGroup01/apps /apps ext3 default 0 0
    > /dev/VolGroup01/data /data ext3 default 0 0
    >
    > But still did not work....

    It's possible that the volumegroup isn't loaded somehow.
    Can you try, after the reboot, a 'vgchange -a y VolGroup01'
    And then do a mount (mount -a for example)

    Bart

    --
    Schelstraete Bart
    bart@schelstraete.org