Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK - Redhat

This is a discussion on Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK - Redhat ; Hi All; Really need HELP; My Redhat 4 was not able to boot since a system crash, reason No longr Journal for EXT3 We boot using Knoppix CDROM mount / partition /dev/sdb6, but mount didn't succeed an request fsck We ...

  1. Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    Hi All;

    Really need HELP; My Redhat 4 was not able to boot since a system
    crash, reason No longr Journal for EXT3
    We boot using Knoppix CDROM mount / partition /dev/sdb6, but mount
    didn't succeed an request fsck
    We then run fsck -y /dev/sdb6, A lot of correction have beed made
    Try again, to mount /dev/sdb6 on /mnt "Now sucesfully", BUT :-
    ( Nothing in / bu all files have been move to /lost+found directory
    with strange name starting #472829 .... ???
    Question: How to recover thoses files to there orginal situation, in
    another way, how to recover my root FS
    What's #????? mean

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:44:36 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:

    > Hi All;
    >
    > Really need HELP; My Redhat 4 was not able to boot since a system crash,
    > reason No longr Journal for EXT3 We boot using Knoppix CDROM mount /
    > partition /dev/sdb6, but mount didn't succeed an request fsck
    > We then run fsck -y /dev/sdb6, A lot of correction have beed made Try
    > again, to mount /dev/sdb6 on /mnt "Now sucesfully", BUT :- ( Nothing in
    > / bu all files have been move to /lost+found directory with strange name
    > starting #472829 .... ??? Question: How to recover thoses files to
    > there orginal situation, in another way, how to recover my root FS
    > What's #????? mean
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    If it's just the / partition what don't you put in a new disk and do a
    fresh install of RH? It sounds like that drive is toast.

  3. Re: Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    On 30 mar, 23:43, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:44:36 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:
    > > Hi All;

    > > Really need HELP; My Redhat 4 was not able to boot since a system crash,
    > > reason No longr Journal for EXT3 We boot using Knoppix CDROM mount /
    > > partition /dev/sdb6, but mount didn't succeed an request fsck
    > > We then run fsck -y /dev/sdb6, A lot of correction have beed made Try
    > > again, to mount /dev/sdb6 on /mnt "Now sucesfully", BUT :- ( Nothing in
    > > / bu all files have been move to /lost+found directory with strange name
    > > starting #472829 .... ??? Question: How to recover thoses files to
    > > there orginal situation, in another way, how to recover my root FS
    > > What's #????? mean

    > > Thanks for your help

    > If it's just the / partition what don't you put in a new disk and do a
    > fresh install of RH? It sounds like that drive is toast.

    Because of if have some data on it and have to restore them (i have No
    backup)

  4. Re: Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:38:10 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:

    > On 30 mar, 23:43, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:44:36 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:
    >> > Hi All;

    >> > Really need HELP; My Redhat 4 was not able to boot since a system
    >> > crash, reason No longr Journal for EXT3 We boot using Knoppix CDROM
    >> > mount / partition /dev/sdb6, but mount didn't succeed an request fsck
    >> > We then run fsck -y /dev/sdb6, A lot of correction have beed made Try
    >> > again, to mount /dev/sdb6 on /mnt "Now sucesfully", BUT :- ( Nothing
    >> > in / bu all files have been move to /lost+found directory with
    >> > strange name
    >> > starting #472829 .... ??? Question: How to recover thoses files to
    >> > there orginal situation, in another way, how to recover my root FS
    >> > What's #????? mean

    >> > Thanks for your help

    >> If it's just the / partition what don't you put in a new disk and do a
    >> fresh install of RH? It sounds like that drive is toast.

    > Because of if have some data on it and have to restore them (i have No
    > backup)

    You're screwed. There are data recovery services available, you might
    want to check with one of them. You can also try examining the contents
    of the recovered files, if they were in text form they might be
    recognizable.

  5. Re: Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    On 31 mar, 15:59, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:38:10 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:

    > >> If it's just the / partition what don't you put in a new disk and do a
    > >> fresh install of RH? It sounds like that drive is toast.

    > > Because of if have some data on it and have to restore them (i have No
    > > backup)

    > You're screwed. There are data recovery services available, you might
    > want to check with one of them. You can also try examining the contents
    > of the recovered files, if they were in text form they might be
    > recognizable.- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
    >
    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    Could you me quote some of them ?

  6. Re: Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:55:18 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:

    > On 31 mar, 15:59, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:38:10 -0700, akim_ziadi wrote:

    >> > Because of if have some data on it and have to restore them (i have
    >> > No backup)

    >> You're screwed. There are data recovery services available, you might
    >> want to check with one of them. You can also try examining the contents
    >> of the recovered files, if they were in text form they might be
    >> recognizable.- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
    >>
    >> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    > Could you me quote some of them ?

    Google data recovery service. I've read about them, I've never needed
    one. I keep multiple backups of everything.

  7. Re: Root EXT3 FS move All files to Lost+Found after FSCK

    That happened to me.

    The only thing I was able to do was this:

    A utility that cost under a hundred bucks called Stellar Phoenix Linux 2.5
    was able to copy all the files off of the splattered ext3 drive and copy them to a folder on my working windows XP system.

    Here's what I had

    1. Dead Red Hat System. After a powerfail, it said FU on the boot
    (kernel panic). I used a knoppix dvd to boot the red hat box and did an
    e2fsck with fix everything option. It found bad inodes, missing superblocks, god only knows and then it copied everything into lost+found. All the directories from root on down were gone. Lost and found could be opened, and it had literally hundreds of folders named things like "#505039" and "#557230" and so forth. But each folder like that had no files within it.
    HOWEVER- I typed "find" on blank line from within a terminal shell
    ( $ find ) and it then proceeded to list out tons of files I recognized. So I knew they were probably there, I just needed to get to them.

    I took the drive out of the red hat box. On my win xp system, i installed something called "Stellar Phoenix Linux" which I found on download.com. It bragged about being able to recover almost anything linux so i tried it. What I got was a trial version. It spent a few hours digging around in the drive and then when it was done, it had found 145,000 files (i think that was ALL of them). Then when I went to have it place them on my working C:\ drive, the program said NO until I registered it online. Since I was desperate, I spent the 79 or 100 (I forget) to make it work. Here's what it did:
    It chugged around for hours and went from 1 percent to 2 percent to 3 percent and so forth very slowly, so I let it run overnight. By morning, the folder I told it to put the recovered files to had all 145,000 files.
    They're all there and work. The problem is this- They are not in any particular directory or in any particular order. So there are a few hundred #505032 and similar named directories with the recovered files in them. If I knew where each file belonged, (like "motd" goes in /etc) I could spend a great deal of time and put them back in to the proper directories. What I plan to do is only copy the files I really need and put them back into a fresh install.
    This isnt an ad for Stellar Phoenix Linux. I'm sure there are other tools that could do the same thing, maybe even for free. I'm just telling you what I did that left me only 30% screwed instead of 100%.
    Hope this helps. You can look at stellar phoenix at Hard Drive Data Recovery Software Tools, Disk Recovery Utilities -Stellar

+ Reply to Thread