root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout - Redhat

This is a discussion on root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout - Redhat ; Hi, I'm running FC4. I've been trying to tweak some network settings, specifically the tcp_fin_timeout value problem is, when I run this (as root) echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout I get bash: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout: Operation not permitted I can't figure out why root ...

  1. root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    Hi, I'm running FC4. I've been trying to tweak some network
    settings, specifically the tcp_fin_timeout value

    problem is, when I run this (as root)

    echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout

    I get

    bash: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout: Operation not permitted

    I can't figure out why root isn't able to do this. I can on my other
    FC4 box no problem, and this seems to be the normal way to set this
    value, according to folks in this group & others.

    any help?

  2. Re: root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    beardo265@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I'm running FC4. I've been trying to tweak some network
    > settings, specifically the tcp_fin_timeout value
    >
    > problem is, when I run this (as root)
    >
    > echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
    >
    > I get
    >
    > bash: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout: Operation not permitted
    >
    > I can't figure out why root isn't able to do this. I can on my other
    > FC4 box no problem, and this seems to be the normal way to set this
    > value, according to folks in this group & others.
    >
    > any help?

    Beardo,

    What are the permission on the file?

    ll /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    Woops.. forgot to mention that. My brain isn't working 100% today.
    Anyway, the file's permissions are read only (-r--r--r--) but root
    also does not seem to be able to change the permissions.

    On Mar 29, 3:17 pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:
    > beardo...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi, I'm running FC4. I've been trying to tweak some network
    > > settings, specifically the tcp_fin_timeout value

    > > problem is, when I run this (as root)

    > > echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout

    > > I get

    > > bash: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout: Operation not permitted

    > > I can't figure out why root isn't able to do this. I can on my other
    > > FC4 box no problem, and this seems to be the normal way to set this
    > > value, according to folks in this group & others.

    > > any help?

    > Beardo,
    >
    > What are the permission on the file?
    >
    > ll /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:46:46 -0700, beardo265 wrote:

    > Woops.. forgot to mention that. My brain isn't working 100% today.
    > Anyway, the file's permissions are read only (-r--r--r--) but root also
    > does not seem to be able to change the permissions.

    Entries in the /proc file system are not implemented as are normal files.
    Not being files, they really don't have alterable permissions. A /proc
    entry with 0444 permissions probably doesn't even have a write method
    implemented.

    HTH

  5. Re: root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    Here's the problem though. I've been told through several resources
    to change this file using

    echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout

    And, I was able to do this on another fedora machine (I believe,
    however, that machine was FC3)

    Is there possibly some other configuration which might be blocking me
    from doing this?

    On Mar 29, 8:26 pm, Tommy Reynolds
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:46:46 -0700, beardo265 wrote:
    > > Woops.. forgot to mention that. My brain isn't working 100% today.
    > > Anyway, the file's permissions are read only (-r--r--r--) but root also
    > > does not seem to be able to change the permissions.

    > Entries in the /proc file system are not implemented as are normal files.
    > Not being files, they really don't have alterable permissions. A /proc
    > entry with 0444 permissions probably doesn't even have a write method
    > implemented.
    >
    > HTH

  6. Re: root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    beardo265@gmail.com wrote:
    > Here's the problem though. I've been told through several resources
    > to change this file using
    >
    > echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
    >
    > And, I was able to do this on another fedora machine (I believe,
    > however, that machine was FC3)
    >
    > Is there possibly some other configuration which might be blocking me
    > from doing this?
    >
    > On Mar 29, 8:26 pm, Tommy Reynolds
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:46:46 -0700, beardo265 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Woops.. forgot to mention that. My brain isn't working 100% today.
    >>>Anyway, the file's permissions are read only (-r--r--r--) but root also
    >>>does not seem to be able to change the permissions.

    >>Entries in the /proc file system are not implemented as are normal files.
    >>Not being files, they really don't have alterable permissions. A /proc
    >>entry with 0444 permissions probably doesn't even have a write method
    >>implemented.
    >>
    >>HTH

    On my RHEL5 I see -rw-r--r-- as permissions

  7. Re: root doesn't have permission to edit file? tcp_fin_timeout

    "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote
    > beardo265@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Here's the problem though. I've been told through several resources
    > > to change this file using
    > >
    > > echo 30 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
    > >
    > > And, I was able to do this on another fedora machine (I believe,
    > > however, that machine was FC3)
    > >
    > > Is there possibly some other configuration which might be blocking me
    > > from doing this?
    > >
    > > On Mar 29, 8:26 pm, Tommy Reynolds
    > > wrote:

    > >>Entries in the /proc file system are not implemented as are normal files.
    > >>Not being files, they really don't have alterable permissions. A /proc
    > >>entry with 0444 permissions probably doesn't even have a write method
    > >>implemented.
    > >>
    > >>HTH

    > On my RHEL5 I see -rw-r--r-- as permissions

    My RHEL4 ES perms for this file are -rw-r--r-- too.

+ Reply to Thread