Where to find driver for video card? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Where to find driver for video card? - Redhat ; I'm on day 2 of being a Linux user. On day 1, I installed FC6 and set up a dual boot with XP. Today, I was finally able to get the graphical environment to work by setting Driver to "vesa" ...

  1. Where to find driver for video card?

    I'm on day 2 of being a Linux user. On day 1, I installed FC6 and set up a
    dual boot with XP. Today, I was finally able to get the graphical
    environment to work by setting Driver to "vesa" (it was originally Driver
    "intel") in the xorg.conf file. Without this new setting, startx would not
    work at all (getting "no screens found" error).

    Problem is, is that I can't get my desktop environment to show more than 640
    x 480 (otherwise it does not boot into X).

    I assume that I need a proper Intel driver to make it work with FC6.

    Anyone know what I should do next? Perhaps just some brief step by step
    instructions to get me started.

    Thank you, much appreciated.

  2. Re: Where to find driver for video card? 82845GL

    I'm sorry, I noticed that I didn't even post the video card that I have. --
    DUH

    It's an Intel 82845GL

    "HIT Fanatic" wrote in message
    > I'm on day 2 of being a Linux user. On day 1, I installed FC6 and set up
    > a dual boot with XP. Today, I was finally able to get the graphical
    > environment to work by setting Driver to "vesa" (it was originally Driver
    > "intel") in the xorg.conf file. Without this new setting, startx would
    > not work at all (getting "no screens found" error).
    >
    > Problem is, is that I can't get my desktop environment to show more than
    > 640 x 480 (otherwise it does not boot into X).
    >
    > I assume that I need a proper Intel driver to make it work with FC6.
    >
    > Anyone know what I should do next? Perhaps just some brief step by step
    > instructions to get me started.
    >
    > Thank you, much appreciated.

  3. Re: Where to find driver for video card? 82845GL

    HIT Fanatic wrote:
    > I'm sorry, I noticed that I didn't even post the video card that I have. --
    > DUH
    >
    > It's an Intel 82845GL
    >

    > "HIT Fanatic" wrote in message
    >> I'm on day 2 of being a Linux user. On day 1, I installed FC6 and set up
    >> a dual boot with XP. Today, I was finally able to get the graphical
    >> environment to work by setting Driver to "vesa" (it was originally Driver
    >> "intel") in the xorg.conf file. Without this new setting, startx would
    >> not work at all (getting "no screens found" error).
    >>
    >> Problem is, is that I can't get my desktop environment to show more than
    >> 640 x 480 (otherwise it does not boot into X).
    >>
    >> I assume that I need a proper Intel driver to make it work with FC6.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what I should do next? Perhaps just some brief step by step
    >> instructions to get me started.
    >>
    >> Thank you, much appreciated.

    Maybe from the Intel site. http://tinyurl.com/338mt3

    Though that should be the i810 driver. Is it the video card or the
    monitor giving you the problem?

    Ken

  4. Re: Where to find driver for video card? 82845GL

    > Maybe from the Intel site. http://tinyurl.com/338mt3
    >
    > Though that should be the i810 driver. Is it the video card or the
    > monitor giving you the problem?

    Thanks for the link -- I tried to install that driver, but a bunch of
    dependency errors make references to other RPMs that are older. I also
    found something on the redhat site which stated that they no longer
    officially support the 82845G.

    Several Google searches through other forums have pretty much the same
    problem that I have.

    Although I can run Fedora in GUI mode, I have to use the 'vesa' driver which
    only allows for 640x480 resolution.

    Maybe I should buy another video card?

  5. Re: Where to find driver for video card? 82845GL

    HIT Fanatic wrote:
    >>Maybe from the Intel site. http://tinyurl.com/338mt3
    >>
    >>Though that should be the i810 driver. Is it the video card or the
    >>monitor giving you the problem?

    > Thanks for the link -- I tried to install that driver, but a bunch of
    > dependency errors make references to other RPMs that are older. I also
    > found something on the redhat site which stated that they no longer
    > officially support the 82845G.
    >
    > Several Google searches through other forums have pretty much the same
    > problem that I have.
    >
    > Although I can run Fedora in GUI mode, I have to use the 'vesa' driver which
    > only allows for 640x480 resolution.
    >
    > Maybe I should buy another video card?

    HIT,

    Did you try these sites?

    http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...inux*&lang=eng

    I did not try these drivers (have a mainboard with another chipset),
    just found the links on www.intel.com.

    Read this first: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g before
    using the driver on the http://downloadfinder.intel.com site.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  6. Re: Where to find driver for video card? 82845GL

    Thanks to everyone who responded to my messages, but I have some good
    news--I fixed the problem.

    This is what I did:

    Booted into the PC's BIOS
    Changed the Video Buffer RAM from 1MB to 8MB
    I then ran Xorg -configure to create a new xorg.conf

    I now have a nice 1280 x 960 screen

+ Reply to Thread