FC6 does not find SATA disk on install - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC6 does not find SATA disk on install - Redhat ; I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded. I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box. I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and create an ext2 disk partition. I created ...

  1. FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.

    I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and
    create an ext2 disk partition.
    I created it as a Primary, and made it Active.

    When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    on which to create new file systems."

    The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.

    I see no reason why this shouldn't work.
    (FWIW, Windows XP Pro installs just fine on the disk.)

    Thoughts/experience?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In linux.redhat Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    > no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    > on which to create new file systems."

    I would expect SATA to be detected without a problem.

    " Normally, you only need to press [Enter] to boot. Watch the boot messages
    to see if the Linux kernel detects your hardware. If your hardware is
    properly detected, please continue to the next section. If it does not
    properly detect your hardware, you may need to restart the installation in
    expert mode. "

    " Enter expert mode using the following boot command:
    boot: linux expert
    "

    --
    ---

  3. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    > I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.
    >
    > I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and
    > create an ext2 disk partition.
    > I created it as a Primary, and made it Active.
    >
    > When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    > no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    > on which to create new file systems."
    >
    > The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.
    >
    > I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

    This has to do with linux's handling of SATA drives. 2.4 kernels
    treated them as IDE drives, which worked, but IIRC access was slowed
    down. Modern 2.6 kernels (after about 2.6.15) treat them as scsi
    devices, and they work fine and supposedly faster than before.

    The problem is with earlier 2.6.* kernels. There are/were patches to
    enable those kernels to deal with SATA drives, but the easy answer is to
    upgrade your OS to something with a more recent kernel.

    I had this problem with debian, but that was over two years ago.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
    welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
    benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but
    a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --Dickens,

  4. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In linux.redhat David L. Johnson wrote:
    > This has to do with linux's handling of SATA drives. 2.4 kernels
    > treated them as IDE drives, which worked, but IIRC access was slowed
    > down. Modern 2.6 kernels (after about 2.6.15) treat them as scsi
    > devices, and they work fine and supposedly faster than before.

    > The problem is with earlier 2.6.* kernels. There are/were patches to
    > enable those kernels to deal with SATA drives, but the easy answer is to
    > upgrade your OS to something with a more recent kernel.

    I'm not the OP...

    With RHEL AS4, update 0, 2.6.9-5.EL, my Compaq SR1810NX ran okay.
    It has a SATA controller, but I am only using IDE disks. I don't know if
    they are driven by the same controller.
    This system won't even boot the AS4, update 4 CDROM without ide=nodma
    Linux version 2.6.9-42.EL. It panics with disk timeouts.

    With the current version, I see a new entry in dmesg that's not in the
    earlier dmesg:
    ATIIXP: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:14.1

    It's as if they added support for the SATA controller, but it doesn't work.

    --
    ---

  5. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    dold@30.usenet.us.com wrote:

    > With RHEL AS4, update 0, 2.6.9-5.EL, my Compaq SR1810NX ran okay.
    > It has a SATA controller, but I am only using IDE disks. I don't know if
    > they are driven by the same controller.

    They wouldn't be.

    > This system won't even boot the AS4, update 4 CDROM without ide=nodma
    > Linux version 2.6.9-42.EL. It panics with disk timeouts.
    >
    > With the current version, I see a new entry in dmesg that's not in the
    > earlier dmesg:
    > ATIIXP: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:14.1
    >
    > It's as if they added support for the SATA controller, but it doesn't work.

    Both of these kernels were from the time when the 2.6.* kernels would
    not boot an SATA disk without being patched. As far as I can tell, that
    message about the IDE controller does not relate to the SATA controller.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
    welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
    benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but
    a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --Dickens,

  6. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    You might go to the Fedora Unity web site and download the latest FC6
    that has all the updates applied. Perhaps one of the updates takes care
    of the problem.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  7. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    > I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.
    >
    > I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and
    > create an ext2 disk partition.
    > I created it as a Primary, and made it Active.
    >
    > When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    > no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    > on which to create new file systems."
    >
    > The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.
    >
    > I see no reason why this shouldn't work.
    > (FWIW, Windows XP Pro installs just fine on the disk.)
    >
    > Thoughts/experience?
    >
    > Thanks,all
    > -Richard Vaughn

    When you boot the FC6 install type at the boot prompt:
    linux all-generic-ide

    You will need to pass that to grub as well so: (watch the line wrap)

    title Fedora Core (2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6)
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6 ro root=/dev/hda6
    all-generic-ide

    you will need to change the hd as suited for your system

    Works for my Inspiron 1501

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  8. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    hello ,
    i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW. plz reply
    me to increase my knowledge

  9. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    > i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW.

    FC6 means "Fedora Core 6". Please see

    FWIW means "for what it's worth".

    Newgroups line trimmed; follow-ups set tl

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  10. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In news:1174711039.743497.109350@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com,
    vishal sharma wrote:

    > i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW.

    FC6 = "Fedora Core 6"
    FWIW = "For What It's Worth"

  11. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    vishal sharma a écrit :
    > hello ,
    > i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW. plz reply
    > me to increase my knowledge

    namaste vishal,

    Fc6 ek operating sistem hai | Linux hai | mujhe fwiw se google par mila
    : for what it worth, angrezi me |

    aap kahan se hai ?

+ Reply to Thread