Help: SSh does not work - Redhat

This is a discussion on Help: SSh does not work - Redhat ; Group, Our sysadmin is not helping. I can not ssh to one of our server from my desktop, so I have to get to another machine to ssh from there. On my desktop, I am using "SSH Secure Shell Client". ...

  1. Help: SSh does not work

    Group,

    Our sysadmin is not helping. I can not ssh to one of our server from
    my desktop, so I have to get to another machine to ssh from there.

    On my desktop, I am using "SSH Secure Shell Client". I do not have
    any problem connecting all other linux box except this one. It does
    not even asking me for password, instead, it gives me an error: "Too
    many authentication failures for ".

    On the server, in the /var/log/message, I found the error:
    Mar 19 14:22:07 svr1 pam_console[29679]: could not parse required
    file /etc/security/console.perms
    Mar 19 14:22:56 server1 sshd[29722]: Connection from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    port yyyy
    Mar 19 14:22:56 server1 sshd[29722]: Illegal user test from
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    The sshd_config is like this:
    #obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
    #SyslogFacility AUTH
    SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
    LogLevel VERBOSE

    # Authentication:

    #LoginGraceTime 120
    PermitRootLogin no
    #StrictModes yes

    RSAAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys

    # rhosts authentication should not be used
    RhostsAuthentication no
    # Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
    IgnoreRhosts yes
    # For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh/
    ssh_known_hosts
    RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    # similar for protocol version 2
    HostbasedAuthentication no
    # Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
    # RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
    #IgnoreUserKnownHosts no

    # To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
    #PasswordAuthentication yes
    PasswordAuthentication no
    PermitEmptyPasswords no

  2. Re: Help: SSh does not work

    Hi

    emdproduction@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > Group,
    >
    > Our sysadmin is not helping. I can not ssh to one of our server from
    > my desktop, so I have to get to another machine to ssh from there.
    >
    > On my desktop, I am using "SSH Secure Shell Client". I do not have
    > any problem connecting all other linux box except this one. It does
    > not even asking me for password, instead, it gives me an error: "Too
    > many authentication failures for ".

    The server is using pubkey authentication. Therefore it will not ask
    for a password and you will get auth failures even if you use the right
    password.

    > PasswordAuthentication no

    Dis might be a problem if you want to connect using interactive login.
    switch it to yes and restart the server.
    Of course it is a better idea to use non-interactive authentication.

    hth
    Peer

+ Reply to Thread