Daylight Savings Time - Redhat

This is a discussion on Daylight Savings Time - Redhat ; I have a RH9 box locked behind a firewall (that's probably never had a patch). It still shows a date of EST (TZ=EST5EDT). I remember reading a couple of years ago about a config file that allows a site-specific setting ...

  1. Daylight Savings Time

    I have a RH9 box locked behind a firewall (that's probably never had a
    patch). It still shows a date of EST (TZ=EST5EDT). I remember reading
    a couple of years ago about a config file that allows a site-specific
    setting of when the switch to/from DST occurs in any given year. I
    can't seem to dig up this config file any more. It may not have even
    been on a RH9 box. Anyone know what file I am talking about?

    Mark

  2. Re: Daylight Savings Time

    On 12 Mar 2007 in linux.redhat, Mark wrote:

    > I have a RH9 box locked behind a firewall (that's probably never had
    > a patch). It still shows a date of EST (TZ=EST5EDT). I remember
    > reading a couple of years ago about a config file that allows a
    > site-specific setting of when the switch to/from DST occurs in any
    > given year. I can't seem to dig up this config file any more. It
    > may not have even been on a RH9 box. Anyone know what file I am
    > talking about?

    There was a whole thread on this back in January, starting with Message-
    ID: <1167844213.960845.320940@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> under subject
    "Daylight Saving Time patches for RH 7.1/7.3"

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

  3. Re: Daylight Savings Time

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    , Mark wrote:

    >I have a RH9 box locked behind a firewall (that's probably never had a
    >patch).

    You _may_ be able to still find the needed errata at
    downloads.fedoralegacy.com or some mirror of that site. The TimeZone
    data is a part of the glibc packages, but who knows what other
    dependencies that may have. Your other choice is to ftp to
    elsie.nci.nih.gov and look in the /pub directory for

    -rw-r--r-- 1 8800 0 189109 Feb 26 14:09 tzcode2007c.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 8800 0 158198 Feb 26 14:09 tzdata2007c.tar.gz

    >I remember reading a couple of years ago about a config file that allows
    >a site-specific setting of when the switch to/from DST occurs in any
    >given year.

    They're called zone files - and you need to recompile those using the
    source and tools from the NIH site.

    >I can't seem to dig up this config file any more. It may not have even
    >been on a RH9 box. Anyone know what file I am talking about?

    IF you have a similar system with access to the net, the _file_ you
    need is "America/New_York" which is probably in /usr/share/zoneinfo.
    You want one that is dated after August of 2005 when the law changed.
    Most distributions had it in place by March 2006.

    Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:29:06 -0500

    Hmmm - what's wrong with your windoze box?

    Old guy

  4. Re: Daylight Savings Time

    Mark wrote:

    > I have a RH9 box locked behind a firewall (that's probably never had a
    > patch). It still shows a date of EST (TZ=EST5EDT). I remember reading
    > a couple of years ago about a config file that allows a site-specific
    > setting of when the switch to/from DST occurs in any given year. I
    > can't seem to dig up this config file any more. It may not have even
    > been on a RH9 box. Anyone know what file I am talking about?
    >
    > Mark

    You'll need glibc and glibc-common from fedoralegacy.org.

+ Reply to Thread