How many Redhat linux virtual machine (VM) instances in my machine? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How many Redhat linux virtual machine (VM) instances in my machine? - Redhat ; Hello, I'm trying to figure out how many Redhat VM instances my machine can have. My machine has two CPUs - (Intel Xeon 3.06GHz) and 2GB RAM. I don't need to run X at all. I'm using Redhat Linux Enterprise ...

  1. How many Redhat linux virtual machine (VM) instances in my machine?

    Hello,

    I'm trying to figure out how many Redhat VM instances my machine can
    have.

    My machine has two CPUs - (Intel Xeon 3.06GHz) and 2GB RAM. I don't
    need to run X at all. I'm using Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.

    I would like to install as many VMs as possible and run cluster file
    systems for experimental purposes. I guess the minimum amount of
    memory I can use will determine the number of VMs. For example, if I
    can use only 128MB per VM, then I will be able to set up 16 VMs. What
    do you think?

    Any kind of advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: How many Redhat linux virtual machine (VM) instances in my machine?

    sukwoo.kang@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out how many Redhat VM instances my machine can
    > have.
    >
    > My machine has two CPUs - (Intel Xeon 3.06GHz) and 2GB RAM. I don't
    > need to run X at all. I'm using Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.
    >
    > I would like to install as many VMs as possible and run cluster file
    > systems for experimental purposes. I guess the minimum amount of
    > memory I can use will determine the number of VMs. For example, if I
    > can use only 128MB per VM, then I will be able to set up 16 VMs. What
    > do you think?
    >
    > Any kind of advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Sukwoo,

    Which virtualization software do you use?

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: How many Redhat linux virtual machine (VM) instances in my machine?

    Hi Jan,

    I'm considering Vmware ESX server or Xen. Do you have any advice?

    Thanks,

    Sukwoo

    On Mar 8, 1:09 pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:
    > sukwoo.k...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I'm trying to figure out how many Redhat VM instances my machine can
    > > have.

    > > My machine has two CPUs - (Intel Xeon 3.06GHz) and 2GB RAM. I don't
    > > need to run X at all. I'm using Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.

    > > I would like to install as many VMs as possible and run cluster file
    > > systems for experimental purposes. I guess the minimum amount of
    > > memory I can use will determine the number of VMs. For example, if I
    > > can use only 128MB per VM, then I will be able to set up 16 VMs. What
    > > do you think?

    > > Any kind of advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    > Sukwoo,
    >
    > Which virtualization software do you use?
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: How many Redhat linux virtual machine (VM) instances in my machine?

    sukwoo.kang@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Jan,
    >
    > I'm considering Vmware ESX server or Xen. Do you have any advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sukwoo
    >

    > On Mar 8, 1:09 pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    > wrote:
    >
    >>sukwoo.k...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,

    >>>I'm trying to figure out how many Redhat VM instances my machine can
    >>>have.

    >>>My machine has two CPUs - (Intel Xeon 3.06GHz) and 2GB RAM. I don't
    >>>need to run X at all. I'm using Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.

    >>>I would like to install as many VMs as possible and run cluster file
    >>>systems for experimental purposes. I guess the minimum amount of
    >>>memory I can use will determine the number of VMs. For example, if I
    >>>can use only 128MB per VM, then I will be able to set up 16 VMs. What
    >>>do you think?

    >>>Any kind of advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    >>Sukwoo,
    >>
    >>Which virtualization software do you use?
    >>
    >>Kind regards,
    >>
    >>Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    Hi Sukwoo,

    The discussion VMware ESX versus Xen is hard for me, no experience with
    Xen. VMware takes some memory for it's own environments, might not give
    you much room for your vm's. I think ESX might be interesting, if you
    would have over 4GB of memory.

    VMware Server might be a better idea on a home machine.

    About the number of vm's: RHEL ES 3 asks 256MB for anaconda to run.

    Xen might work, but I did not test it.

    Warning: officially you need a subscription for each RHEL vm or use a
    clone like CENTOS.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

+ Reply to Thread