Enterprise Linux - Redhat

This is a discussion on Enterprise Linux - Redhat ; I want to use Redhat SE and AS (both workstation and server) to learn details of administering redhat machines. I've searched the redhat site but I can't seem to download any actual redhat product without having to buy it. This ...

  1. Enterprise Linux

    I want to use Redhat SE and AS (both workstation and server) to learn
    details of administering redhat machines. I've searched the redhat
    site but I can't seem to download any actual redhat product without
    having to buy it. This is for a job which I don't yet have, so
    shelling out 139 bucks is nearly impossible and 349$ is totally
    impossible, and so is 1399$ (might as well be one the moon). Now I
    understand there is Fedora, but the redhat site keeps saying Fedora is
    for users who want bleeding edge, etc. What I want is exactly the
    software I would be working with, not different versions, etc. I don't
    expect support, infact support would be the exact opposite of why I
    want to use it. How do I get this genuine redhat stuff?

  2. Re: Enterprise Linux

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:51:42 -0800, Lou wrote:

    > I want to use Redhat SE and AS (both workstation and server) to learn
    > details of administering redhat machines. I've searched the redhat site
    > but I can't seem to download any actual redhat product without having to
    > buy it. This is for a job which I don't yet have, so shelling out 139
    > bucks is nearly impossible and 349$ is totally impossible, and so is
    > 1399$ (might as well be one the moon). Now I understand there is Fedora,
    > but the redhat site keeps saying Fedora is for users who want bleeding
    > edge, etc. What I want is exactly the software I would be working with,
    > not different versions, etc. I don't expect support, infact support
    > would be the exact opposite of why I want to use it. How do I get this
    > genuine redhat stuff?

    There are free clones of RHEL, CentOS and Scientific Linux. These clones
    are built from the Redhat sources, they are exactly the same except for
    the Redhat logos which have been removed. I'm using Scientific Linux 4.4
    on one of my systems, it works fine.

  3. Re: Enterprise Linux

    On Mar 7, 8:14 am, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:51:42 -0800, Lou wrote:
    > > I want to use Redhat SE and AS (both workstation and server) to learn
    > > details of administering redhat machines. I've searched the redhat site
    > > but I can't seem to download any actual redhat product without having to
    > > buy it. This is for a job which I don't yet have, so shelling out 139
    > > bucks is nearly impossible and 349$ is totally impossible, and so is
    > > 1399$ (might as well be one the moon). Now I understand there is Fedora,
    > > but the redhat site keeps saying Fedora is for users who want bleeding
    > > edge, etc. What I want is exactly the software I would be working with,
    > > not different versions, etc. I don't expect support, infact support
    > > would be the exact opposite of why I want to use it. How do I get this
    > > genuine redhat stuff?

    > There are free clones of RHEL, CentOS and Scientific Linux. These clones
    > are built from the Redhat sources, they are exactly the same except for
    > the Redhat logos which have been removed. I'm using Scientific Linux 4.4
    > on one of my systems, it works fine.

    What are the differences between redhat ES and AS, etc. I found
    CentOS, but I'm still unclear if its like ES,AS or a mix, etc. Part of
    this job will be porting software. So I need the exact same stuff
    (libs, etc).

  4. Re: Enterprise Linux

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:10:15 -0800, Lou wrote:

    > On Mar 7, 8:14 am, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:51:42 -0800, Lou wrote:
    >> > I want to use Redhat SE and AS (both workstation and server) to learn
    >> > details of administering redhat machines. I've searched the redhat
    >> > site but I can't seem to download any actual redhat product without
    >> > having to buy it. This is for a job which I don't yet have, so
    >> > shelling out 139 bucks is nearly impossible and 349$ is totally
    >> > impossible, and so is 1399$ (might as well be one the moon). Now I
    >> > understand there is Fedora, but the redhat site keeps saying Fedora
    >> > is for users who want bleeding edge, etc. What I want is exactly the
    >> > software I would be working with, not different versions, etc. I
    >> > don't expect support, infact support would be the exact opposite of
    >> > why I want to use it. How do I get this genuine redhat stuff?

    >> There are free clones of RHEL, CentOS and Scientific Linux. These
    >> clones are built from the Redhat sources, they are exactly the same
    >> except for the Redhat logos which have been removed. I'm using
    >> Scientific Linux 4.4 on one of my systems, it works fine.

    > What are the differences between redhat ES and AS, etc. I found CentOS,
    > but I'm still unclear if its like ES,AS or a mix, etc. Part of this job
    > will be porting software. So I need the exact same stuff (libs, etc).

    CentOS and Scientific Linux contain everything, so they are a safe bet
    for porting software. The libraries should be the same for both ES and
    AS, so for porting of software it doesn't make any difference. What
    Redhat is really selling are support agreements, everything in RHES and
    RHAS is free software so you can run anything you like on either of them.
    It looks like they compiled the kernel on ES to support only two
    processors, but that's really a don't care since you could always
    recompile the kernel to support as many processors as you want (it's a
    single parameter in the configuration).

    http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/server/

+ Reply to Thread