Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution - Redhat

This is a discussion on Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution - Redhat ; I have a remote server that was installed using a ES subscription. Time has gone by we now only have WS subscriptions. This server does not do anything requiring the ES distribution. Is there some file I can edit to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution

  1. Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution

    I have a remote server that was installed using a ES subscription.
    Time has gone by we now only have WS subscriptions. This server does
    not do anything requiring the ES distribution.

    Is there some file I can edit to make this installation a WS
    production so that I can update it?


  2. Re: Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution

    steven.troxel@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a remote server that was installed using a ES subscription.
    > Time has gone by we now only have WS subscriptions. This server does
    > not do anything requiring the ES distribution.
    >
    > Is there some file I can edit to make this installation a WS
    > production so that I can update it?


    Why yes there is, it goes by the name redhat-release-..rpm
    Check a WS installation for the exact name.

    rpm -Uvh redhat-release*.rpm --force
    (you already have one installed that needs replacing which is why the force
    switch)


    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  3. Re: Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution

    Lenard wrote:
    > steven.troxel@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I have a remote server that was installed using a ES subscription.
    >>Time has gone by we now only have WS subscriptions. This server does
    >>not do anything requiring the ES distribution.
    >>
    >>Is there some file I can edit to make this installation a WS
    >>production so that I can update it?

    >
    >
    > Why yes there is, it goes by the name redhat-release-..rpm
    > Check a WS installation for the exact name.
    >
    > rpm -Uvh redhat-release*.rpm --force
    > (you already have one installed that needs replacing which is why the force
    > switch)
    >
    >

    Lenard,


    I think Steven has to do:

    rpm -e redhat-release-ES-..rpm
    rpm -ivh redhat-release-WS-..rpm

    because the rpm names do not match and would end up with two different
    rpm's. This might lead to up2date not excepting the environment.


    Kind regards,


    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >> steven.troxel@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I have a remote server that was installed using a ES subscription.
    >>> Time has gone by we now only have WS subscriptions. This server does
    >>> not do anything requiring the ES distribution.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some file I can edit to make this installation a WS
    >>> production so that I can update it?

    >>
    >>
    >> Why yes there is, it goes by the name
    >> redhat-release-..rpm
    >> Check a WS installation for the exact name.
    >>
    >> rpm -Uvh redhat-release*.rpm --force (you already have one installed
    >> that needs replacing which is why the force
    >> switch)
    >>
    >>

    > Lenard,
    >
    >
    > I think Steven has to do:
    >
    > rpm -e redhat-release-ES-..rpm
    > rpm -ivh redhat-release-WS-..rpm
    >
    > because the rpm names do not match and would end up with two different
    > rpm's. This might lead to up2date not excepting the environment.
    >
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra


    I'd be real careful erasing the redhat-release.rpm. I think you'll find
    initscripts depends on it, and a lot of packages depend on initscripts.

    Ken

  5. Re: Relabeling a Redhat ES to WS distribution

    Ken wrote:
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >
    >> Lenard wrote:
    >>
    >>> steven.troxel@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I have a remote server that was installed using a ES subscription.
    >>>> Time has gone by we now only have WS subscriptions. This server does
    >>>> not do anything requiring the ES distribution.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there some file I can edit to make this installation a WS
    >>>> production so that I can update it?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Why yes there is, it goes by the name
    >>> redhat-release-..rpm
    >>> Check a WS installation for the exact name.
    >>>
    >>> rpm -Uvh redhat-release*.rpm --force (you already have one installed
    >>> that needs replacing which is why the force
    >>> switch)
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Lenard,
    >>
    >>
    >> I think Steven has to do:
    >>
    >> rpm -e redhat-release-ES-..rpm
    >> rpm -ivh redhat-release-WS-..rpm
    >>
    >> because the rpm names do not match and would end up with two different
    >> rpm's. This might lead to up2date not excepting the environment.
    >>
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >>
    >>
    >> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    >
    >
    > I'd be real careful erasing the redhat-release.rpm. I think you'll find
    > initscripts depends on it, and a lot of packages depend on initscripts.
    >
    > Ken

    Ken,


    The only supported way is to reinstall. Avoids problems with packages
    that are not available in WS.

    rpm -q --whatrequires /etc/redhat-release
    initscripts-7.93.25.EL-1

    shows you are right about dependecies.

    Kind regards,


    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

+ Reply to Thread