sitecom kvm - Redhat

This is a discussion on sitecom kvm - Redhat ; I have a Sitecom KV 011 kvm usb switch and the keyboard/mouse won't work if I use the switch. I have a laptop on one input and a linux box on the other. The mouse and keyboard are usb devices. ...

  1. sitecom kvm

    I have a Sitecom KV 011 kvm usb switch and the keyboard/mouse won't
    work if I use the switch.

    I have a laptop on one input and a linux box on the other. The mouse
    and keyboard are usb devices. The kvm switch connects to the 2
    computers via usb.

    If I reboot the Linux box with the laptop selected, I can switch to
    the Linux box and it will work, but then if I switch to the laptop and
    back, the Linux box won't work.

    Likewise, If I reboot with the Linux box working, it will work but it
    won't work if I switch to the laptop and back.

    Also, once it doesn't work, pluging the keyboard/mouse directly into
    the Linux box won't fix the problem.

    It is possible to login to the linux box once they keyboard/mouse
    aren't working, so the Linux box hasn't crashed.

    Any ideas ? It is like as if switching away from the Linux box
    somehow disables the drivers on the Linux box. The only way to
    recover is a reboot.

    The red hat version is 2.4.21-37 (or at least that number comes up at
    the start).

  2. Re: sitecom kvm

    raphfrk wrote:
    > I have a Sitecom KV 011 kvm usb switch and the keyboard/mouse won't
    > work if I use the switch.
    >
    > I have a laptop on one input and a linux box on the other. The mouse
    > and keyboard are usb devices. The kvm switch connects to the 2
    > computers via usb.
    >
    > If I reboot the Linux box with the laptop selected, I can switch to
    > the Linux box and it will work, but then if I switch to the laptop and
    > back, the Linux box won't work.
    >
    > Likewise, If I reboot with the Linux box working, it will work but it
    > won't work if I switch to the laptop and back.
    >
    > Also, once it doesn't work, pluging the keyboard/mouse directly into
    > the Linux box won't fix the problem.
    >
    > It is possible to login to the linux box once they keyboard/mouse
    > aren't working, so the Linux box hasn't crashed.
    >
    > Any ideas ? It is like as if switching away from the Linux box
    > somehow disables the drivers on the Linux box. The only way to
    > recover is a reboot.
    >
    > The red hat version is 2.4.21-37 (or at least that number comes up at
    > the start).

    Raphfrk,

    I had the same problem with a HP9000 (Unix workstation) and a Fedora
    Core 5 box.

    I could not resolve the problem and decide not to use the kvm switch
    anymore. With a ps/2 kvm switch I do not have this problem at all.

    The Red Hat version can be found by cat /etc/redhat-release or cat
    /etc/fedora-release.

    2.4.21-37 is the kernel release, there is no official relationship
    between a Red Hat version number and a kernel release.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: sitecom kvm

    On Mar 4, 5:04 pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:

    > I had the same problem with a HP9000 (Unix workstation) and a Fedora
    > Core 5 box.
    >
    > I could not resolve the problem and decide not to use the kvm switch
    > anymore. With a ps/2 kvm switch I do not have this problem at all.

    Hope that's not the only solution .

    > The Red Hat version can be found by cat /etc/redhat-release or cat
    > /etc/fedora-release.
    >
    > 2.4.21-37 is the kernel release, there is no official relationship
    > between a Red Hat version number and a kernel release.

    I will check that once I get back to work

  4. Re: sitecom kvm

    The sysadmin here got it to work.

    The trick was:

    - boot with
    -- keyboard/mouse connected directly to the linux box
    -- usb connection of the switch not connected to the linux box

    - at login
    -- swap the keyboard/mouse to the kvm switch
    -- connect the kvm switch to the linux box

    It seems to work fine now.

+ Reply to Thread