How to open a remote desktop Fedora core 6 - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to open a remote desktop Fedora core 6 - Redhat ; Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm pretty sure that we can open multiples screen from a remote computer. I have my main computer with Fedora core 6 installed. I want to connect from a laptop that have Mandriva ...

  1. How to open a remote desktop Fedora core 6

    Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm pretty sure that we can open
    multiples screen from a remote computer.
    I have my main computer with Fedora core 6 installed.
    I want to connect from a laptop that have Mandriva installed.
    Before I had Red-Hat 8 installed on my remote computer and I was doing
    a SSH session and then I just type startkde at the prompt. But with
    Mandriva I can't.
    I tried with a Windows XP Pro with Exceed but I can't make it work.
    Maybe it's the command that we need to put in that I'm doing
    mistake...
    I can ping them FTP or telnet, so the networking does not seem to be
    an issue..

    Is it do-able? or I'm trying to fight with this for nothing...

    I was under the impression that we don't need a special software...

    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sylvain

  2. Re: How to open a remote desktop Fedora core 6

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:48:27 -0800, Frenchguy wrote:

    > Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm pretty sure that we can open
    > multiples screen from a remote computer.
    > I have my main computer with Fedora core 6 installed.
    > I want to connect from a laptop that have Mandriva installed.
    > Before I had Red-Hat 8 installed on my remote computer and I was doing
    > a SSH session and then I just type startkde at the prompt. But with
    > Mandriva I can't.
    > I tried with a Windows XP Pro with Exceed but I can't make it work.
    > Maybe it's the command that we need to put in that I'm doing
    > mistake...
    > I can ping them FTP or telnet, so the networking does not seem to be
    > an issue..
    >
    > Is it do-able? or I'm trying to fight with this for nothing...
    >
    > I was under the impression that we don't need a special software...
    >
    > Any help would be really appreciated.

    You don't need any special software. Under Fedora remote X sessions are
    disabled by default.

    Comment out the last line in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

    Change ENABLED=false to ENABLED=true in /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc and
    /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (if it exists)

    Change /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess to allow whatever types of connections you
    want to allow.

    Restart X by running: telinit 3; telinit 5;

  3. Re: How to open a remote desktop Fedora core 6

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:48:27 -0800, Frenchguy wrote:

    > Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm pretty sure that we can open
    > multiples screen from a remote computer. I have my main computer with
    > Fedora core 6 installed. I want to connect from a laptop that have
    > Mandriva installed. Before I had Red-Hat 8 installed on my remote
    > computer and I was doing a SSH session and then I just type startkde at
    > the prompt. But with Mandriva I can't.
    > I tried with a Windows XP Pro with Exceed but I can't make it work.
    > Maybe it's the command that we need to put in that I'm doing mistake...
    > I can ping them FTP or telnet, so the networking does not seem to be an
    > issue..
    >
    > Is it do-able? or I'm trying to fight with this for nothing...
    >
    > I was under the impression that we don't need a special software...
    >
    > Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks,
    > Sylvain

    You just need to enable X forwarding. The easiest way to do this for both
    FC and Mandriva is to use webmin, there is an ssh module under servers,
    just turn on X forwarding. Mandriva includes webmin in the distro, for FC
    you have to download and install the RPM, http://www.webmin.com. You
    access webmin through the browser, https://machine:10000. You can admin
    every machine on your network from your browser.

+ Reply to Thread