what is writing to my disk? - Redhat

This is a discussion on what is writing to my disk? - Redhat ; I have used GKrellM for a while to monitor my system. Sometimes I see long periods of writes to the disk I am monitoring on my workstation and that makes me wonder: How can I find out what is writing ...

  1. what is writing to my disk?

    I have used GKrellM for a while to monitor my system. Sometimes I see long
    periods of writes to the disk I am monitoring on my workstation and that
    makes me wonder: How can I find out what is writing to my disk?

  2. Re: what is writing to my disk?

    Jerome wrote:
    > I have used GKrellM for a while to monitor my system. Sometimes I see long
    > periods of writes to the disk I am monitoring on my workstation and that
    > makes me wonder: How can I find out what is writing to my disk?

    If you have a journaling file system, the file system is writing.

    There is always the hard way ls -lht starting at / and working downward. What
    in fact is actually running on your machine at the time?

    --
    There is no excuse for us to accept from politicians anything that we would
    never accept from our own children. Maybe that is why they work at appearing

  3. Re: what is writing to my disk?

    Matt Giwer wrote:

    > Jerome wrote:
    >> I have used GKrellM for a while to monitor my system. Sometimes I see
    >> long periods of writes to the disk I am monitoring on my workstation and
    >> that makes me wonder: How can I find out what is writing to my disk?

    > If you have a journaling file system, the file system is writing.
    >
    > There is always the hard way ls -lht starting at / and working downward.
    > What in fact is actually running on your machine at the time?

    I use ext3. There's lots running on my machine, but mostly reading - that's
    why the writes caught my eye. On a hunch I checked my /var/log/secure and
    saw I was getting a lot of FTP attempts from some script kiddie.

    But, in general, now I'm looking for a way to identify what files are being
    written, out of curiosity and for understanding.

  4. Re: what is writing to my disk?

    On 2007-03-01, Jerome wrote:

    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> If you have a journaling file system, the file system is writing.

    > I use ext3. There's lots running on my machine, but mostly reading - that's
    > why the writes caught my eye. On a hunch I checked my /var/log/secure and
    > saw I was getting a lot of FTP attempts from some script kiddie.

    ext3 is jounrnaled. You're always writing to the log files, so when the
    journal gets committed you'll see those write actions.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread