jail ssh user - Redhat

This is a discussion on jail ssh user - Redhat ; I want to jail ssh user logins. The idea is to let user X upload and download from this linux server, but not let him see anywhere else except his own directory. I can't seem to dig up a way ...

  1. jail ssh user

    I want to jail ssh user logins.
    The idea is to let user X upload and download from this linux server,
    but not let him see anywhere else except his own directory.
    I can't seem to dig up a way to do this.

  2. Re: jail ssh user

    gavino wrote:
    > I want to jail ssh user logins.
    > The idea is to let user X upload and download from this linux server,
    > but not let him see anywhere else except his own directory.
    > I can't seem to dig up a way to do this.

    Gavino,

    You are not the only one.

    I have tested a couple of suggestions from the net, none worked.

    Sorry to disappoint you.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: jail ssh user

    On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:31:00 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    > gavino wrote:
    >> I want to jail ssh user logins.
    >> The idea is to let user X upload and download from this linux server,
    >> but not let him see anywhere else except his own directory.
    >> I can't seem to dig up a way to do this.

    > You are not the only one.
    >
    > I have tested a couple of suggestions from the net, none worked.
    >
    > Sorry to disappoint you.

    Google: chroot ssh linux

    http://www.howtoforge.com/chrooted_ssh_howto_debian

  4. Re: jail ssh user

    gavino wrote:
    > I want to jail ssh user logins.
    > The idea is to let user X upload and download from this linux server,
    > but not let him see anywhere else except his own directory.
    > I can't seem to dig up a way to do this.

    Well, here are a few methods I found searching around. I have never
    tried it myself (with ssh that is), so can not contribute more than
    links. But, ldd is your friend for it.

    JR.

    http://www.technicalarticles.org/ind..._a_Chroot_Jail
    http://www.maxlor.com/howto-jailed-sftp.shtml
    http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/howtos_ssh_only.html

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  5. Re: jail ssh user

    jailkit bombed for me, followed dirs and didnt work; bsd not me IM on
    redhat, and recompiling openssh id rather not for prod servers...

    http://www.fuschlberger.net/programs...p-chroot-jail/

    This is the best method I have found.

    No recompiling openssh.

    Fast very slick.

  6. Re: jail ssh user

    gavino wrote:
    > jailkit bombed for me, followed dirs and didnt work; bsd not me IM on
    > redhat, and recompiling openssh id rather not for prod servers...

    Agreed, but I have done it... ssh does not affect to much, and have
    terminal servers just in case!

    > http://www.fuschlberger.net/programs...p-chroot-jail/
    >
    > This is the best method I have found.
    >
    > No recompiling openssh.
    >
    > Fast very slick.

    Will give that one a whirl on my next bout with jailed ssh.

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

  7. Re: jail ssh user

    On Feb 27, 7:37 pm, "gavino" wrote:
    > I want to jail ssh user logins.
    > The idea is to let user X upload and download from this linux server,
    > but not let him see anywhere else except his own directory.
    > I can't seem to dig up a way to do this.

    Check this out.

    http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/index.php

    I haven't tried it yet but looks promising..

    hth,
    Kalyan

+ Reply to Thread