Newbie question about compiling and Executables... - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newbie question about compiling and Executables... - Redhat ; Hello, Ok....I'm a newbie to this and have what may appear to be a no-brainer of a question. I have a program that compiled fine under RedHat 5.1 on someone elses computer. I just installed RedHat 6.2 on my spare ...

  1. Newbie question about compiling and Executables...

    Hello,
    Ok....I'm a newbie to this and have what may appear to be a no-brainer
    of a question.

    I have a program that compiled fine under RedHat 5.1 on someone elses
    computer. I just installed RedHat 6.2 on my spare computer and the
    program won't compile. Errors up the butt.

    The same program doesn't compile under RedHat 5.2 either....

    Just curious, why is this? Are the compilers different or something?

    Also, I got the program to compile without a single error on a FreeBSD
    5.x, but it won't compile under 7.2 at all. again, errors up the butt.

    Another silly newbie question. If I compile the program under say
    FreeBSD and transfer it to my computer using RedHat 6.2 should/would
    it work?
    I've tried this and when I try to run the program I keep getting a
    directory or file not found error. Yes, I'm spelling it correctly.
    Any idea why it wouldn't even recognize that the file is there?

    Sorry if these newbie questions seem silly,

    Thanks for any advice or explanations as to why the programs won't
    compile or be recognized.

    Your new best friend,
    Robert

  2. Re: Newbie question about compiling and Executables...

    On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:27:04 -0800, robert wrote:

    > I have a program that compiled fine under RedHat 5.1 on someone elses
    > computer. I just installed RedHat 6.2 on my spare computer and the
    > program won't compile. Errors up the butt.

    Sorry, but "errors up the butt", while graphic and entertaining, conveys
    absolutely no technical information. While I'm rather good, I can't
    answer a question you haven't asked.

    Show us the first 3-4 errors; then we'll talk.

    > Just curious, why is this? Are the compilers different or something?

    Probably not enough to make a difference.

    > Another silly newbie question. If I compile the program under say
    > FreeBSD and transfer it to my computer using RedHat 6.2 should/would it
    > work?

    Should it work? Theoretically yes; practically no.

    Would it work? Yes, with more trouble than just compiling it correctly
    to begin with.

    > I've tried this and when I try to run the program I keep getting a
    > directory or file not found error. Yes, I'm spelling it correctly.
    > Any idea why it wouldn't even recognize that the file is there?

    Yes, obviously, you don't have file "/etc/newbie/gold-dust" installed on
    your system.

    What file is missing? Give us a hint, I dare you.

    > Sorry if these newbie questions seem silly,

    Not silly, but you should first google for "asking questions intelligently".

    We *want* to help, that's why we're here, but you gotta throw us a crumb
    or two first. Turning lead into gold, first takes lead...

    Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread