What WiFi card works for a laptop? - Redhat

This is a discussion on What WiFi card works for a laptop? - Redhat ; What WiFi card will work with RHEL AS 4, update 4? I have gone in circles with web postings about this or that or the other, and compile your own, and just change this, or load this driver onto that ...

  1. What WiFi card works for a laptop?

    What WiFi card will work with RHEL AS 4, update 4?
    I have gone in circles with web postings about this or that or the other,
    and compile your own, and just change this, or load this driver onto that
    card...
    I might go retrieve my Orinoco Silver from the friend I gave it to a couple
    of years ago.

    I wanted one with native support, but now I don't care.

    I just want a recommendation for one that I can buy, and download a driver
    from somewhere, and it will work.

    PCMCIA/Cardbus... I use a Netgear WG511 for WinXP.

    --
    ---

  2. Re: What WiFi card works for a laptop?

    dold@74.usenet.us.com schrieb:
    > What WiFi card will work with RHEL AS 4, update 4?
    > I have gone in circles with web postings about this or that or the other,
    > and compile your own, and just change this, or load this driver onto that
    > card...
    > I might go retrieve my Orinoco Silver from the friend I gave it to a couple
    > of years ago.
    >
    > I wanted one with native support, but now I don't care.
    >
    > I just want a recommendation for one that I can buy, and download a driver
    > from somewhere, and it will work.
    >
    > PCMCIA/Cardbus... I use a Netgear WG511 for WinXP.

    And this is one is not working?
    What version of the card do u have?
    Perhaps this helps:
    http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/WG511

  3. Re: What WiFi card works for a laptop?

    I did some window shopping, trying to find good support, and then intended
    to buy whatever was well supported.

    I wound up going to Fry's Electronics and buying a card that I remembered
    seeing on one of the "good" lists.

    Of course, there are versions...
    The card that I chose has the same model number, but multiple versions that
    are entirely different chipsets.

    The DLink DWL-G630, hardware version C2, is supported for several versions
    of Linux, with both RPMs and source code available.

    The DLink page says there is no driver available.
    Atheros.com doesn't list it for Linux, but MADwifi.org lists it as an
    Artheros chipset with support.

    On a dual boot PC, the Windows XP driver autoloaded via my wired
    connection, and it works fine.

    On Redhat Enterprise Linux AS 3, update 8, there was an RPM available
    for the latest patched kernel, but I didn't have that version, so I had
    to build my own, which didn't work, due to some code bug. I backed off
    to an earlier source release, and successfully built and used the driver.

    http://madwifi.org I built drivers from 0.9.1 source.
    DLink DWL-G630 PCMCIA card (hardware version C2), $19.99 after rebates.
    FCCID KA2DWLG630C1
    http://atrpms.net/name/madwifi/ holds binaries for latest kernels.

    Linux hv-rhel 2.4.21-47.EL #1 Wed Jul 5 20:46:55 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    /var/log/messages:
    kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 1): vendor 0x168c, device 0x001a
    kernel: wifi0: Atheros 5212: mem=0x10800000, irq=9
    ath_hal: 0.9.17.2 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
    wlan: 0.8.4.2 (0.9.1)
    ath_rate_sample: 1.2 (0.9.1)
    ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.1)

    --