Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup - Redhat ; I am pretty new to Linux. I installed Core 6 on a pretty old PC I have: a Dell Dimension XPS R400. It's a Pentium II, 12 GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. BIOS is version A03 from 1998. ...

  1. Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup

    I am pretty new to Linux.
    I installed Core 6 on a pretty old PC I have: a Dell Dimension XPS
    R400.
    It's a Pentium II, 12 GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. BIOS is version
    A03 from
    1998.

    Linux installed cleanly with no problems. When it rebooted, it starts
    up and I get a blank
    blue screen. I don't get the stuff that's supposed to run the first
    time after an install nor do
    I see anything else. Just a blank blue screen and the PC seems to
    freeze up (keyboard becomes
    unresponsive).

    Any tips on how to get past this? Does this PC simply not have the
    resources to get this
    running?

    I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

  2. Re: Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:05:14 -0800, jeffg wrote this:

    > I am pretty new to Linux.
    > I installed Core 6 on a pretty old PC I have: a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
    > It's a Pentium II, 12 GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. BIOS is version A03
    > from
    > 1998.
    >
    > Linux installed cleanly with no problems. When it rebooted, it starts up
    > and I get a blank
    > blue screen. I don't get the stuff that's supposed to run the first time
    > after an install nor do
    > I see anything else. Just a blank blue screen and the PC seems to freeze
    > up (keyboard becomes
    > unresponsive).
    >
    > Any tips on how to get past this? Does this PC simply not have the
    > resources to get this
    > running?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

    You may be having trouble with the video device. Try booting
    IIRC,

    > linux vga=normal xdriver=vesa

    or ctrl-alt-f2 to login to term,
    review
    $ less xorg.0.log
    $ less /var/log/messages
    $ dmesg

  3. Re: Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup

    On Feb 23, 4:07 am, noi wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:05:14 -0800, jeffg wrote this:
    >

    > > I am pretty new to Linux.
    > > I installed Core 6 on a pretty old PC I have: a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
    > > It's a Pentium II, 12 GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. BIOS is version A03
    > > from
    > > 1998.

    > > Linux installed cleanly with no problems. When it rebooted, it starts up
    > > and I get a blank
    > > blue screen. I don't get the stuff that's supposed to run the first time
    > > after an install nor do
    > > I see anything else. Just a blank blue screen and the PC seems to freeze
    > > up (keyboard becomes
    > > unresponsive).

    > > Any tips on how to get past this? Does this PC simply not have the
    > > resources to get this
    > > running?

    > > I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

    > You may be having trouble with the video device. Try booting
    > IIRC,
    >
    > > linux vga=normal xdriver=vesa

    > or ctrl-alt-f2 to login to term,
    > review
    > $ less xorg.0.log
    > $ less /var/log/messages
    > $ dmesg- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks. Please pardon my ignrorance where do I type
    "> linux vga=normal xdriver=vesa"

    When I get to the GRUB loader, I can modify kernel parameters or get
    to a GRUB
    command line. The line above didn't work in the command line.

    Also, I tried Ctrl-Alt-F2 and it didn't work anywhere. When during the
    boot cycle is this supposed to work?

  4. Re: Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:53:20 -0800, jeffg wrote this:

    > On Feb 23, 4:07 am, noi wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:05:14 -0800, jeffg wrote this:
    >>

    >> > I am pretty new to Linux.
    >> > I installed Core 6 on a pretty old PC I have: a Dell Dimension XPS
    >> > R400. It's a Pentium II, 12 GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. BIOS is
    >> > version A03 from
    >> > 1998.

    >> > Linux installed cleanly with no problems. When it rebooted, it
    >> > starts up and I get a blank
    >> > blue screen. I don't get the stuff that's supposed to run the first
    >> > time after an install nor do
    >> > I see anything else. Just a blank blue screen and the PC seems to
    >> > freeze up (keyboard becomes
    >> > unresponsive).

    >> > Any tips on how to get past this? Does this PC simply not have the
    >> > resources to get this
    >> > running?

    >> > I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

    >> You may be having trouble with the video device. Try booting IIRC,
    >>
    >> > linux vga=normal xdriver=vesa

    >> or ctrl-alt-f2 to login to term,
    >> review
    >> $ less xorg.0.log
    >> $ less /var/log/messages
    >> $ dmesg- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks. Please pardon my ignrorance where do I type "> linux
    > vga=normal xdriver=vesa"
    >
    > When I get to the GRUB loader, I can modify kernel parameters or get to
    > a GRUB
    > command line. The line above didn't work in the command line.
    >
    > Also, I tried Ctrl-Alt-F2 and it didn't work anywhere. When during the
    > boot cycle is this supposed to work?

    Sorry, I was way too tired to read and I don't remember correctly.

    You have the minimal for FC6 and a Dell. Probably easiest to try the
    install again use the most basic video settings and disable ACPI. Set the
    Dell's bios to default or most compatible settings.

  5. Re: Fedora Core 6 Initial Startup

    jeffg@programmer.net wrote:
    > On Feb 23, 4:07 am, noi wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:05:14 -0800, jeffg wrote this:
    >>

    >>> I am pretty new to Linux.
    >>> I installed Core 6 on a pretty old PC I have: a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
    >>> It's a Pentium II, 12 GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. BIOS is version A03
    >>> from
    >>> 1998.
    >>> Linux installed cleanly with no problems. When it rebooted, it starts up
    >>> and I get a blank
    >>> blue screen. I don't get the stuff that's supposed to run the first time
    >>> after an install nor do
    >>> I see anything else. Just a blank blue screen and the PC seems to freeze
    >>> up (keyboard becomes
    >>> unresponsive).
    >>> Any tips on how to get past this? Does this PC simply not have the
    >>> resources to get this
    >>> running?
    >>> I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

    >> You may be having trouble with the video device. Try booting
    >> IIRC,
    >>
    >> > linux vga=normal xdriver=vesa

    >> or ctrl-alt-f2 to login to term,
    >> review
    >> $ less xorg.0.log
    >> $ less /var/log/messages
    >> $ dmesg- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks. Please pardon my ignrorance where do I type
    > "> linux vga=normal xdriver=vesa"
    >
    > When I get to the GRUB loader, I can modify kernel parameters or get
    > to a GRUB
    > command line. The line above didn't work in the command line.

    The previous poster is suggesting to add it to the line starting with
    kernel in grub (so when GRUB comes up, press a key to make the list
    appear, highlight the first line and press e, then highlight the line
    starting with kernel and press e, append what the poster suggested and
    press enter then boot it with b). You might want to append "init 1" to
    the end of the kernel line to see if you can at least get into single
    user mode. You might also consider trying a distro geared towards older
    hardware like Puppy Linux. Also older versions of Fedora may be worth a
    shot (I run Fedora Core 2 on a laptop with a P3 400 w/ 256MB RAM -- FC4
    which was the latest at the time of the install didn't play well with
    the hardware). To be honest it does sound like a video issue, you may
    want to check eBay as I'm sure a PCI Voodoo card (which has good Linux
    support) can probably be found for a great price.

+ Reply to Thread