Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9 - Redhat ; Hi, I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM but the laptop boots ...

  1. Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    Hi,
    I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    server.
    But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop

    Thanks
    A.Saravanan

  2. Re: Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    saravanan wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    > ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    > installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    > but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    > installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    > server.
    > But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    > laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop
    >
    > Thanks
    > A.Saravanan

    What I have had to do in the past is boot from a clean HDD. You can
    locate a disk (or I can make a floppy witht he ncesseary tools for you)
    and clean the drive (reformat entirely). Then load the RH image. This is
    what I have ahd to do to get a similar laptop/desktop install issue to
    resolve.

    Joe

  3. Re: Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:29:45 -0800, saravanan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    > ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    > installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    > but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    > installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    > server.
    > But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    > laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop
    >
    > Thanks
    > A.Saravanan

    RH9 is ancient, Ubuntu isn't, that's why Ubuntu installed and RH9 didn't.
    If you want to use a Redhat distro on that box you should try Fedora Core
    6 or a RHEL 4 clone like Scientific Linux 4.4 or CentOS 4.4. However with
    just 128M of RAM no heavyweight Linux distro is going to work very well,
    not Ubuntu, not FC6. You might try Xbuntu which uses a lightweight window
    manager, or Damn Small Linux which is geared to tiny memory systems like
    yours. If you want to use Gnome or KDE you'll need at least 384M, more
    would be better.

  4. Re: Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    saravanan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    > ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    > installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    > but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    > installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    > server.
    > But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    > laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop
    >
    > Thanks
    > A.Saravanan

    When CDROM got lost, it was usually a DMA question; it could be worked
    around by passing the nodma parameter at the boot prompt...

  5. Re: Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    On Feb 19, 12:43 am, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:29:45 -0800, saravanan wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    > > ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    > > installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    > > but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    > > installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    > > server.
    > > But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    > > laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop

    > > Thanks
    > > A.Saravanan

    > RH9 is ancient, Ubuntu isn't, that's why Ubuntu installed and RH9 didn't.
    > If you want to use a Redhat distro on that box you should try Fedora Core
    > 6 or a RHEL 4 clone like Scientific Linux 4.4 or CentOS 4.4. However with
    > just 128M of RAM no heavyweight Linux distro is going to work very well,
    > not Ubuntu, not FC6. You might try Xbuntu which uses a lightweight window
    > manager, or Damn Small Linux which is geared to tiny memory systems like
    > yours. If you want to use Gnome or KDE you'll need at least 384M, more
    > would be better.

    Thanks for your suggestion But now i tried with mandrake 10.1 now its
    working fine

  6. Re: Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    On Feb 18, 4:28 pm, Joe Cipale wrote:
    > saravanan wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    > > ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    > > installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    > > but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    > > installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    > > server.
    > > But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    > > laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop

    > > Thanks
    > > A.Saravanan

    > What I have had to do in the past is boot from a clean HDD. You can
    > locate a disk (or I can make a floppy witht he ncesseary tools for you)
    > and clean the drive (reformat entirely). Then load the RH image. This is
    > what I have ahd to do to get a similar laptop/desktop install issue to
    > resolve.
    >
    > Joe

    Thanks for your suggestion But now i tried with mandrake 10.1 now its
    working fine

  7. Re: Laptop Not Supporting Redhat 9

    On Feb 19, 1:17 pm, al wrote:
    > saravanan wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I Have a Compaq presario Laptop with AMD Athlon Processor/128mb
    > > ram/20Gb HDD when i tried to install Redhat linux in that laptop the
    > > installer hangs the kernel log says that it cannot access the CDROM
    > > but the laptop boots from the CDROM. But after sometime the network
    > > installation option opens and asks for the image file in FTP or NFS
    > > server.
    > > But when i tried with the ubuntu linux it installs perfectly in the
    > > laptop. Can anyone help me to install Redhat Linux in the Laptop

    > > Thanks
    > > A.Saravanan

    > When CDROM got lost, it was usually a DMA question; it could be worked
    > around by passing the nodma parameter at the boot prompt...

    Thanks for your suggestion But now i tried with mandrake 10.1 now its
    working fine

+ Reply to Thread