Switching gnome to kde and back again - Redhat

This is a discussion on Switching gnome to kde and back again - Redhat ; There are regularly questions on how to do it. This is not for FC4 and I never installed FC5. But for FC6 the basic system start up is a graphics screen ending with a graphics login screen. Go to the ...

  1. Switching gnome to kde and back again

    There are regularly questions on how to do it. This is not for FC4 and I never
    installed FC5. But for FC6 the basic system start up is a graphics screen ending
    with a graphics login screen.

    Go to the bottom left and look at the second from the left which is labeled
    session or some such. Click and it will give you a choice of KDE or Gnome and
    the option of making your choice the default.

    It could not be simpler.

    --
    The war on terror can last for thirty years. Israel claims to have been
    fighting terrorism for 58 years and there is no end in sight.

  2. Re: Switching gnome to kde and back again

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > There are regularly questions on how to do it. This is not for FC4
    > and I never installed FC5. But for FC6 the basic system start up is a
    > graphics screen ending with a graphics login screen.
    >
    > Go to the bottom left and look at the second from the left which is
    > labeled session or some such. Click and it will give you a choice of KDE
    > or Gnome and the option of making your choice the default.
    >
    > It could not be simpler.

    Speaking of which I choose KDE as I do many different things from internet news
    and usenet to povray and my website and more. I have different desktops for each
    different thing. When I do a formal logout from KDE with a left click on the
    desktop it saves my entire configuration. It saves all the windows and
    applications for each desktop on that desktop so they are there when I reboot.
    If gnome can do that I have not figured out how to do it.

    --
    At least in Vietnam the government was on our side.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3732

  3. Re: Switching gnome to kde and back again

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:09:40 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Speaking of which I choose KDE as I do many different things
    > from internet news and usenet to povray and my website and more. I
    > have different desktops for each different thing.
    >
    > When I do a formal logout from KDE with a left click on the desktop
    > it saves my entire configuration. It saves all the windows and
    > applications for each desktop on that desktop so they are there when
    > I reboot.

    Yeah, I had that session feature turned on until one day an
    application was eating 100% cpu . 10 to 15 minutes for ctl+alt+del to
    take control. Next login, KDE restored the process, same 100% usage.

    I no longer enable that feature.

    On login, I have a ~/.kde/Autostart/startup which execute scripts
    which jump to different desktops and start my different applications.

    Example startup snippet:
    kstart --desktop 3 --windowclass Kdesktop /site/bin/xusenet &

    That also allows me to create shortcuts to run the script when I want
    to just click to jump to the desktop and execute it.
    If the app is running it does not execute it. Script follows:

    #************************************************* ***********
    #*
    #* xusenet - xterm log into the usenet account via ssh
    #*
    #* ~usenet/.bash_profile executes app and upon app completion, exits
    #*
    #************************************************* ***********

    _user=usenet
    _target=$(hostname)
    _app=slrn

    dcop kwin default setCurrentDesktop 3

    pgrep -U $_user $_app
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    exit 0
    fi

    xterm -title $_user -display $DISPLAY -geom 30x3+439+339 \
    -e ssh $_user@$_target &

    #****************** end xusenet *************************

  4. Re: Switching gnome to kde and back again

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:09:40 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Speaking of which I choose KDE as I do many different things
    >> from internet news and usenet to povray and my website and more. I
    >> have different desktops for each different thing.
    >> When I do a formal logout from KDE with a left click on the desktop
    >> it saves my entire configuration. It saves all the windows and
    >> applications for each desktop on that desktop so they are there when
    >> I reboot.

    > Yeah, I had that session feature turned on until one day an
    > application was eating 100% cpu . 10 to 15 minutes for ctl+alt+del to
    > take control. Next login, KDE restored the process, same 100% usage.

    Pull plug.

    > I no longer enable that feature.

    I don't know from enabling anything. I've used it for years and never had a
    problem.

    --
    A cakewalk to a death march in three easy neocon steps.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3722

+ Reply to Thread