Dual booting Fedora Core 6 and Vista - Redhat

This is a discussion on Dual booting Fedora Core 6 and Vista - Redhat ; Hi, Anyone solved how to dual boot FC6 with Vista. I had FC6 installed on a harddisk to begin with, then I plugged in another harddisk and set that to primary master and installed Vista. I was hoping to be ...

  1. Dual booting Fedora Core 6 and Vista

    Hi,

    Anyone solved how to dual boot FC6 with Vista.

    I had FC6 installed on a harddisk to begin with, then I plugged in another
    harddisk and set that to primary master and installed Vista.

    I was hoping to be able to edit the Windows "boot.ini" file and point it at
    the second drive and Fedora boot the file did not exist so I created one but
    that did not seem to work.

    Anyone shed some light on how to get Fedora booting ?

    Many thanks,

    Aaron

    P.S. Not that impressed with Vista, one would think by now the install and
    boot up sequences would be nice and smooth and well nice on the nerves, but
    its not its all jumpy with a few graphic chucked up at some poiunts along
    the way even pinching Fedoras halo cursor !

  2. Re: Dual booting Fedora Core 6 and Vista

    > Anyone solved how to dual boot FC6 with Vista.

    My BIOS has done it for me, just press F11 and it gives a drive menu to
    select from.

    I would still like to get both GRUB and the Windows boot.ini setup to dual
    boot separately just to know how to do it so....

    How to I make GRUB boot Windows ?

    How do I make boot.ini boot FC ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Aaron

  3. Re: Dual booting Fedora Core 6 and Vista

    On Dec 23, 8:47 am, "Aaron Gray" wrote:

    > How to I make GRUB boot Windows ?
    >

    > Aaron

    add this to your /boot/grub/grub.conf

    title XP
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    Think you'll need to to do the "mapping" as you've set the bios to boot
    hd1, which makes windows think it's on the slave drive and through a
    wobbly.
    If I'm wrong just get rid of the 2 mapping lines and change root to
    (hd0,0)

+ Reply to Thread