Diff between Kernel 2.4 and Kernel 2.6 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Diff between Kernel 2.4 and Kernel 2.6 - Redhat ; Hi, I studying linux at STG bangalore, my faculty asked about check in the wed the diffrence between kernel 2.4 with kernel 2.6, i have no idea about it can u please help me....

  1. Diff between Kernel 2.4 and Kernel 2.6

    Hi,

    I studying linux at STG bangalore, my faculty asked about check in
    the wed the diffrence between kernel 2.4 with kernel 2.6, i have no
    idea about it can u please help me.

  2. Re: Diff between Kernel 2.4 and Kernel 2.6

    In news:1166678653.557895.90490@f1g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com,
    murali wrote:

    > I studying linux at STG bangalore, my faculty asked about check in
    > the wed the diffrence between kernel 2.4 with kernel 2.6, i have no
    > idea about it can u please help me.

    http://www.google.com/linux?q=differ...kernel+2.4+2.6

  3. Re: Diff between Kernel 2.4 and Kernel 2.6

    2.6 kernel supports greater amounts of RAM, up to 64GB in paged mode.

    Support for Non-Uniform Memory Access - NUMA systems is new in 2.6
    kernels.

    * Kernel modules now have .ko extension to differentiate from
    regular object files with .o extension..

    * New sysfs filesystem has been created, that represents device
    tree as kernel sees it.

    New 2.6 kernels are preemptive. This will significantly improve
    performance of interactive and multimedia applications.

    Linux kernel 2.6 can support up to 64 CPUs.

    Number of unique users and groups has been increased from 65,000 to
    over 4 billion, that is from 16-bit to 32-bit.
    Maximum Number PIDs was increased from 32,000 to 1 billion

    no of h/w devices support is high.

+ Reply to Thread