rup command is not showing remote linux systems - Redhat

This is a discussion on rup command is not showing remote linux systems - Redhat ; Hello All, When I issue the "rup" command on my RHEL4 system, I expect to see a list of my remote systems along with their uptime. Oddly, it does report all of my Solaris systems, however it does not list ...

  1. rup command is not showing remote linux systems

    Hello All,

    When I issue the "rup" command on my RHEL4 system, I expect to see a
    list of my remote systems along with their uptime.

    Oddly, it does report all of my Solaris systems, however it does not
    list any of the RHEL systems.

    I do notice rup in /etc/rpc on my RHEL systems.

    Is there another setting that needs to be configured?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: rup command is not showing remote linux systems

    Look at rwhod on the systems you don't see. It isn't likely running.

    Most don't run it, and it is off by default.

    "flatts1" wrote in message
    news:1166535514.682722.247800@n67g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > When I issue the "rup" command on my RHEL4 system, I expect to see a
    > list of my remote systems along with their uptime.
    >
    > Oddly, it does report all of my Solaris systems, however it does not
    > list any of the RHEL systems.
    >
    > I do notice rup in /etc/rpc on my RHEL systems.
    >
    > Is there another setting that needs to be configured?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

  3. Re: rup command is not showing remote linux systems

    Thanks,

    rwhod was not running, so I started it.

    However, I still only see the Solaris systems when I issue the "rup"
    command.

    Although it is worth noting that I do see the RHEL4 systems (but only
    the RHEL4 systems) when I issue the "ruptime" command.

    Is there a way to see all of the remote systems on both platforms with
    a single command?

    Mike

  4. Re: rup command is not showing remote linux systems

    "flatts1" wrote in message
    news:1166718482.982796.241380@f1g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Thanks,
    >
    > rwhod was not running, so I started it.
    >
    > However, I still only see the Solaris systems when I issue the "rup"
    > command.
    >
    > Although it is worth noting that I do see the RHEL4 systems (but only
    > the RHEL4 systems) when I issue the "ruptime" command.
    >
    > Is there a way to see all of the remote systems on both platforms with
    > a single command?

    For RHEL, look for and install rwhod. If not on the distro, find the
    sources - compile and install.

    rwhod must run on all systems you expect to see with the ruptime command.

    rup works differently, it uses rpc broadcasts to the local network. If a
    system has the rstatd running and is not blocked it will respond.

    ruptime and rup are similar but different ways of doing the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread